Ball State gymnastics ties school record but falls to Bowling Green

Junior Erin Patchey performs her routine during the floor exercise during the meet against Central Michigan on Jan. 23 at Irving Gymnasium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Cardinals, who have yet to win a meet this season, lost 193.875 to 195.5. However, head coach Joanna Saleem said the team did better and had less falls than last meet.

“Overall their performance out there is the only thing we can control and they did a much better job competing as a team and staying together,” Saleem said. “We had a lot less falls and a lot less major mistakes, so overall we were pretty excited about how they performed.”

Saleem was impressed with the whole beam team. 

Senior Jessica Leko and sophomore Kayla Beckler tied for first on the beam with scores of 9.85.

“It was really nice to see them step up and do what we know they can do on beam, especially at the end of the meet when you have little things here and there that were kinda a little distracting for the team throughout the competition,” Saleem said. “They really did a great job finishing strong.”

On the floor, junior Erin Patchey received second place with a 9.825.

The team struggled to start with bars and vault, scoring lower than Saleem would have liked. Injuries on both events have hurt the team's depth.

She said they've had to replace 11 routines since the start of the season due to injury.

Saleem also said the team needs to work on little things like hitting handstands on bars and sticking landings, but she was excited with how they performed overall.

The Cardinals will return to action on Feb. 13 as they host Mid-American Conference foe Western Michigan at 7 p.m.

Kara Berg contributed to this story