Ball State Baseball falls in MAC Championship game

<p>Junior catcher Matthew Gonzalez (middle) walks back with his teammates to the dugout after finishing an inning against Bowling Green March 15 at First Merchants Ball Park Complex. The Cardinals lost 4-5 against the Falcons. Isabella Kemper, DN</p>

Junior catcher Matthew Gonzalez (middle) walks back with his teammates to the dugout after finishing an inning against Bowling Green March 15 at First Merchants Ball Park Complex. The Cardinals lost 4-5 against the Falcons. Isabella Kemper, DN

After defeating Mid-American Conference (MAC) Tournament one-seed opponent Bowling Green Saturday morning, Ball State Baseball earned a spot in the championship later that day. The Cardinals were set to face two-seed Western Michigan.

It was here that their season ended.

After losing to Western earlier in the week, the Cardinals were placed in the tournament losers bracket. Here, the team won its way back to the championship game, beating Toledo and then Bowling Green. 

This loss means the Cardinals will not have a guaranteed spot in the upcoming NCAA tournament regionals. Ball State's season ended last year in said tournament after winning the 2023 MAC Championship.

The Cardinals end its season with a 35-22-1 overall record, near identical to last year's record of 36-23. Western Michigan's 2024 MAC Championship victory is the teams second win ever and first since 2016.

Contact the Daily News with comments at editor@bsudailynews.com or on X @bsudailynews.