President Jo Ann Gora stops in Chicago, Fort Wayne

<p><strong>President Jo Ann Gora </strong>speaks to alumni May 15 at the University Club of Chicago. Gora chose not to stand behind the podium and speak into the microphone. Instead, she chose to have a conversation with attendees. <strong>DN PHOTO RAYMOND GARCIA</strong></p>

President Jo Ann Gora speaks to alumni May 15 at the University Club of Chicago. Gora chose not to stand behind the podium and speak into the microphone. Instead, she chose to have a conversation with attendees. DN PHOTO RAYMOND GARCIA

President Jo Ann Gora's upcoming stop

6-8 p.m. Wednesday

Forum Conference & Events Center

11313 USA Parkway in Fishers, Ind.

President Jo Ann Gora speaks to alumni May 15 at the University Club of Chicago. Gora chose not to stand behind the podium and speak into the microphone. Instead, she chose to have a conversation with attendees. DN PHOTO RAYMOND GARCIA

President Jo Ann Gora is on a three-stop tour to connect with people before her retirement in June.

So far, Gora has stopped in Fort Wayne, Ind., and in Chicago.

There are more than 6,000 alumni in the Chicago area, making it a top alumni market, said Julie Stroh, president of the Alumni Association.

At the stops, Gora met with a wide range of alumni, including those who graduated in the late 50s and those who graduated earlier this month.

Many people commented on two qualities about Gora that made her stand out: her personality and her marketing abilities.

Zach Perlinski, a 2011 telecommunications alumnus, said in Chicago that he met Gora at the Freshman Convocation and decided to take up her free lunch offer for freshmen.

“She is someone who has been front and center in my career at Ball State,” he said. “This is another chance to connect with her before she leaves Ball State.”

Matt Momper, a Board of Trustees member, spoke in Fort Wayne about how Gora interacts with students and would often ask them what they thought needed to improve at Ball State.

“She understood who our customer was,” Momper said.

Perlinski agreed that Gora is someone who has spent time involved with students.

“She has watched my career unfold,” he said. “It’s really neat to have somebody in her position of leadership to be there for advice and support.”

During her presentations, Gora showed a slideshow of new buildings and renovations and talked about immersive learning.

“What immersive learning is, is really taking what has always been true of the Ball State culture, and that is a real commitment to the student,” Gora said in Fort Wayne.

President Jo Ann Gora's upcoming stop

6-8 p.m. Wednesday

Forum Conference & Events Center

11313 USA Parkway in Fishers, Ind.

She also spoke about the recreation center’s new name in her honor: the  Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

“Since the students call me JoGo, I’m hoping that the center becomes known as the ‘JoGo Center’ — and that has already appeared on Twitter,” Gora said in Fort Wayne.

At the Chicago event, Gora told a story about when she climbed on the rec center's rock wall. At the time, she had challenged the members of her cabinet to climb and only the female members showed up to the competition. She said one of the younger members won.

Gora also spoke about the change in admission standards since she joined as president in 2004.

“We have tried to change the culture ... by bringing to the campus folks who would enable our students to think big thoughts, to dreams big dreams and to recognize how big and exciting the world is and that they can make a difference and that they can make a mark,” she said.

With her upcoming retirement, Gora said some of the first things she will do is sleep late, spend an hour and a half reading The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, read a mystery book and go to the beach.

“I am looking forward to having a little vacation time, and then I’ll see what else looks interesting to do,” Gora said.

Her last stop is Wednesday at the Forum Conference and Events Center in Fishers, Ind. To attend, reserve a spot with the Alumni Association at 765-285-1080 or email Carol Kosisko at ckosisko@bsu.edu.