Board reviews 5 candidates as presidential search continues

90-minute interviews

Opening statement Prepared questions on candidate’s background Dialogue on trends in higher education Time for candidate to ask questions Closing statement

Five candidates have been interviewed to replace President Jo Ann Gora. 

Wayne Estopinal, presidential search committee leader and Board of Trustee member, said the candidates were interviewed for about 90 minutes each and the committee has a “short list.” 

Estopinal could not disclose how many candidates are on the short list, but said it has not been narrowed down to one. 

He described them as “inspiring and accomplished.” 

“The committee was very pleased with the quality and dialogue,” Estopinal said. “[It was] a very enjoyable two days of engaging with some real thought leaders in higher education.”

Candidates answered questions specific to their background and careers and also discussed trends in higher education. 

Estopinal said the candidates have the opportunity to anonymously visit campus, though some have already visited Ball State. 

The remaining applicants will meet with the Board of Trustees in the next couple of weeks. 

One candidate has interviews in the next week for presidencies of other institutions, so Estopinal said he does not know how many will meet with the board. 

The board will focus on wrapping up Gora’s final semester until after graduation and hopes to make an announcement by June 1. 

Gora’s term ends at the close of June 2014. 

“We fully expect to have a president on campus this summer,” Estopinal said. “We will have a very successful conclusion to this search.”