Cardinal Cash looks to expand on and off campus

Cardinal Cash turns a student ID into a pre-paid debit card.

On-campus locations:

• Ball State Dining
• Campus bookstore
• Technology Store in Bracken Library
• John R. Emens Auditorium
• Scheumann Stadium
• Worthen Arena
• Amelia T. Wood Health Center pharmacy
Renovated laundry rooms in Noyer Complex, Studebaker West Complex, Studebaker Hall East, Woodworth Complex, DeHority Complex, Park Hall, Kinghorn Hall and Scheidler Apartments

• Cardinal Cash, which is a pre-paid debit card through their student ID, expanded to Scheumann Stadium’s student section concession stands and Worthen Arena aisle 16 this year.
  • Expansion goals include off-campus locations, like similar programs at other major Indiana universities.
  • Students also can use Cardinal Cash at Ball State Dining, the campus bookstore, the Technology Store in Bracken Library, John R. Emens Auditorium, the Amelia T. Wood Health Center pharmacy and certain on-campus laundry facilities.

As of this year, students can use their Cardinal Cash to purchase concessions at some athletic venues, but the process to expand the use of Cardinal Cash is still ongoing.

This academic year, Cardinal Cash was expanded to the concession stands by Scheumann Stadium’s student section and to aisle 16 of Worthen Arena.

Matt Stephenson, director of business services, said some students took advantage of the expansion during football, basketball and volleyball games.

“It wasn’t huge because it was new,” he said. “But for the first year, we were happy about having the opportunity to offer it.”

Stephenson said his office will look at the number of students who used the new Cardinal Cash locations and decide if card readers would be beneficial at different venues.

Of the three goals for Cardinal Cash expansion, one was completed in Fall 2012: the ability to add money to the account online. The other two goals are expanding the program with on- and off-campus locations.

Previously, students could use their Cardinal Cash in dining facilities, the campus bookstore, the Technology Store in Bracken Library, John R. Emens Auditorium, the Amelia T. Wood Health Center pharmacy and certain laundry facilities in residence halls.

Kevin Thurman, a graduate student, has been working to expand Cardinal Cash for four years through the Campus Council and a former group called the Cardinal Cash Task Force.

“[The athletics expansion] has been our big progress this year as well as continuing to push new residence halls to have it,” Thurman said. “Housing has assured us that, as they renovate residence halls, they are continuing to put that in there.”

Johnson A Complex will offer Cardinal Cash in its laundry facilities, said Cindy Miller, assistant director for marketing and communications for Housing and Residence Life. Currently, students can use Cardinal Cash in renovated laundry rooms in Noyer Complex, Studebaker West Complex, Studebaker Hall East, Woodworth Complex, DeHority Complex, Park Hall, Kinghorn Hall and Scheidler Apartments.

Miller said it is too expensive to add Cardinal Cash to existing laundry facilities because in some residence halls, laundry is not in one central location.

The Student Government Association recently passed a resolution encouraging the university to continue the expansion of Cardinal Cash.

Thurman said it is complicated to incorporate Cardinal Cash in off-campus locations, but it is still a large goal.

“We haven’t reached out to businesses specifically,” Thurman said. “We are working with our administration and from there, be able to go out once we know for sure that we can make it happen from a university standpoint.”

Some of the challenges include whether it could be used to purchase alcohol and who will pay for the initial cost of a card reader.

Other Indiana universities use this kind of program. At IUPUI and Indiana University, the Jagtag and CampusAccess student IDs can be used at more than 100 locations on and off campus, according to the universities’ websites.

The Scotty’s Brewhouse locations in Indianapolis and Bloomington, Ind., accept Jagtag and CampusAccess. According to the restaurant’s website, IUPUI students can receive a 10 percent discount certain days of the week with univeristy identification cards. At both locations, the cards cannot be used to buy alcohol.

Thurman said the main goal is to have Cardinal Cash offered where students will use it most, on and off campus.

“We’ve made a lot of progress, but it’s a process,” he said.