The Associated Press

Articles

Security forces and police outside the Bataclan concert hall in central Paris as people are being held hostage on Friday, Nov. 13, 2015. After clearing the hall of attackers, officials reportedly found more than 100 dead inside. (Olivier Corsan/Maxppp/Zuma Press/TNS)
NEWS

As many as 120 dead in Paris shootings, bombings

A series of attacks targeting young concert-goers and Parisians enjoying a Friday night out at popular nightspots killed as many as 120 people in the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. President Francois Hollande pledged that France would stand firm against what he called terrorism. The worst carnage was at a concert hall hosting an American rock band, where scores of people were held hostage and attackers hurled explosives at their captives. Police who stormed the building, killing three attackers, encountered a bloody scene of horror inside.

Hazardous waste crews, working with the EPA, measure the area of the upper pond that has turned orange from rust and contains mercury and sulfuric acid as seen at the deserted New Idria mercury mines, October 25, 2011. The mines, in rural San Benito County, were once a bustling community, but now the miners are gone, and the pollution remains. (Karen T. Borchers/San Jose Mercury News/MCT)
NEWS

Sierra Club: Toxic pollutant limits good news for Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Sierra Club says new federal standards for mercury, lead and other toxic pollutants that coal-fired power plants discharge into rivers and streams are good news for Indiana's waterways and its residents. Jodi Perras (PEHR'-ihs), the Indiana representative of the Sierra Club's Beyond Coal Campaign, calls the standards "a victory for every Hoosier who wants to swim in clean rivers, eat healthy fish, and drink clean water." Perras says a 2013 report from a coalition of environmental groups found that only three of Indiana's 19 coal-fired power plants had permits that limited their toxic heavy metal discharges into public waters. The U.S.