Institute provides leadership course in Muncie

Soon-to-be graduates will have an opportunity this spring to sharpen their leadership skills before they step out into the career world.

LEAD-ECI, a local community, non-profit leadership institute, will offer an eight-week leadership course titled "Emergence: Personal Foundations of Effective Leadership." The opportunity will be available to future and current professionals.

"[The course] primarily serves both emerging and existing leaders, and experienced leaders that are wanting to enhance their leadership abilities in any way," Richard Crist, executive director of LEAD-ECI, said.

The interactive course is compiled of eight separate sessions of instructional time where participants will be split into groups of four or five. Crist said the main reason for this is to allow students to have the ability to learn from one another by applying information gained from the course.

Mitch Isaacs, associate director of Student Life and Excellence in Leadership coordinator, was involved in developing some of the leadership programming offered by LEAD-EIC.

"Everything that LEAD-EIC does is quality work," Isaacs said. "They're very smart and very intentional about their leadership programming. It's a good opportunity."

Although many of LEAD-ECI's services are aimed toward already developed professionals, Crist emphasized the versatility of the leadership course.

In the eight previous offerings of the course, Crist said the type of participants varies.

"We have individuals from the business sector, the for profit sector, bankers, attorneys and nurses," Crist said. "High school students, college students and folks up into their sixties have participated."

Crist also believes that being educated on different aspects of leadership is a great way to get a leg-up while job searching after graduation.

"In the competitive environment that's out there for jobs today, just getting a degree doesn't guarantee anything," Crist said. "It would be a distinct advantage for any college student to have this under their belt."

Registration for the course is open until March 23. The 30-hour program carries a standard tuition fee of $700, Crist said, but there are $350 scholarships available for individuals from non-profit organizations and college students.
-รก