Annual Self Injury and Suicide Awareness Week events begin today

SGA, Alive Campaign host daily awareness events on campus

After a Ball State student committed suicide in December, Student Government Association member Alyssa France and Mark Mossner of the Alive Campaign said they knew that they wanted to make this year's Self-Injury and Suicide Awareness Week bigger than last year.

Every 15 minutes, a person dies by suicide, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The goal of the week is to get Ball State students the information and counseling they need to prevent contributing to that statistic.

SGA and the Alive Campaign will host events this week from Monday to Thursday, which is National Self-Injury Awareness Day.

While France, a sophomore nursing major, said she hopes there will be a lot of students in attendance, she knows that is not what is important.

"Ideally, I would like to see lots of students at these events because it is an important issue that is too often a taboo in society," France said. "If one person comes out and gets this information and is saved, then it is so worth it."

Both France and Mossner are passionate about suicide awareness because suicide has touched their lives.

For France, her best friend's brother committed suicide during her sophomore year of high school.

"I saw how it affected families and how no one knew he was suffering. To me, that is not okay," France said. "They should know that there are people out there that they can talk to and I would love to be able to tell students that if you are struggling, there are people who care about you that you may not realize and there are people who are there to talk to you at all hours of the day."

Mossner first felt the effects of suicide when he helped save his friend in middle school.

"When I was in middle school, one of my friends attempted to kill himself." Mossner said. "It kind of showed me that friendship and helping each other get help really does help. So I just wanted to get involved and do what I can."

To France, just getting information out to the students of Ball State makes the Self-Injury and Suicide Awareness Week a success.

"Every penny we spent, every time we spent in meetings or emailing administration and reserving rooms is worth it because it's one more person who will stay alive because of what we did," France said.

Self Injury and Suicide Awareness Week events

Today

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., there will be information tables set up in the Atrium giving away free awareness ribbons, and sharing statistics about suicide.

Tuesday

"Espresso and Release" will be held from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m in the Art and Journalism Building Room 289. Students are welcome to have free coffee and to express themselves through songs and poetry.

Wednesday

Students are invited to participate in a candlelight vigil from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Scramble Light.

Thursday

Robin Lett and Emily Barnum will speak at 8 p.m. at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Hall A about suicide and its effects on everyone.