Greece Lightning | Experiencing traditions at Siphnos island

While Delos is my favorite uninhabited island, Siphnos is my favorite inhabited. After only being here a couple hours, I had already decided I loved it.

It has the charm of Mykonos with the quaintness of Naxos. After a six-hour ferry ride to the island, I decided I needed to go for a run to stretch my legs out. At the end of my run, I found a path to the beach and as soon as I saw the view, I never wanted to leave. The sun was setting, mountains were on either side of me and the ocean was splayed out in front of me. I've never seen anything so beautiful.

It takes less than a minute to walk to the beach from our hotel. We are two minutes from the small strip of restaurants, shops and markets that line the port. We are only a bus ride away from the largest village on the island that is ideal for shopping, particularly for Siphnos-made pottery. The island is one of the best for hiking because it is so mountainous.

We did another tour of the island, though this one got cut short because it was simply too hot outside. But while on the tour, we got to see another archaeological site where the acropolis, the fortress of the Parthenon, had been unearthed.

During the excavation of the island, a total of 76 towers were discovered that had been used as a communication system for the island. For the past nine years, the people of Siphnos have adopted a new tradition. Every Sunday evening in the 50 days after Easter, each tower is lit up with red smoke, one by one, until they are all lit. I was fortunate to get to see this happen.

Because mountains surround our hotel, I was able to see the red smoke rise from various points all around me. It would come up in plumes and then slowly fade away before another cloud would appear. It was a sight to see as the sun was setting over the ocean right next to it.

Basically, I never want to leave.