SOCCER: Cards look to return to winning ways

Coach hopes time off helps team rebound after weekend losses

It's been a long week of waiting for the players on Ball State University's soccer team. After jump-starting the season with a 9-1-2 record, the Cardinals dropped both matches last weekend at home to Central Michigan University and Eastern Michigan University.

Now, after witnessing disappointment after disappointment in what has been an overwhelmingly successful season, Ball State is anxious to get back on the field.

"We've had a great week of practice," coach Michelle Salmon said. "We took two days off and came out Wednesday and the girls seemed refreshed. Last week we got away from what we do best. This week we spent time working on our strengths. We've probably had one of our best weeks of practice. So we're excited for this weekend."

What had been the Cardinals' strength suddenly betrayed them last weekend. A defense that had given up only nine goals over a nine-match unbeaten streak has given up five goals in its last two matches. However, senior defender Sarah Maxwell said getting two days to rest at the beginning of the week has helped with the team's psyche.

"It was nice to break the routine," Maxwell said. "Mentally and physically you don't realize how you get in a routine. We get to school a couple weeks before classes start and all we do is play soccer. So it was nice to break the routine and get an extra days rest."

Ball State has also had an extended amount of time to let the loss of sophomore midfielder Katelyn Alexander sink in. With two matches and over a week of practice without the former starting midfielder, senior midfielder Amy Holst said the team's other midfielders have had enough time to adjust to playing without one of their starters.

"It was obviously a huge loss for us," Holst said. "Katelyn had a great year for us, so there's some big shoes to fill. But we tweaked the lineup a little bit this week, and I think that we have a good chance to do well this weekend."

As big as the match-up against Central Michigan was last Friday, there's just as much riding on Ball State's showdown against Ohio University today. While the Bobcats are only 6-7 on the year, they have compiled a 4-2 conference record which ties them with the Cardinals.

However, Salmon said she's more focused on what her teams needs to execute than she is on what Ball State's two opponents bring to the table.

"Ohio's had a great year, and Akron started the season off strong," Salmon said. "We know that both teams are coming in here wanting results. We need to be aware of that, and I think we are. But we need to be more concerned with ourselves. My concern is my team."

Holst feels confident in the match-ups Ball State has this weekend. The senior said her team should be able to take care of business.

"Both these teams are emotional teams," Holst said. "So I think that if we come out and jump on them early we should have no problem putting them away."