ETA starts conversation about transgender lives on campus

Ball State students participating in the Trans Lives Matter march on Sept. 17 stop in front of the Frog Baby for a moment of silence. DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR

The Ethnic Theatre Alliance hosted Trans Lives Matter, a peaceful march, Sept. 17 to show their support for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the transgender women who were killed. 

“We are having this march to encourage our students to look at the state of emergency," said Nathaniel Thomas, ETA president. "Our trans brothers and sisters are dying, and if the media won't cover it, if the school won't talk about it, then we, as the student body, will start the conversation."

LGBT people tend to have significantly higher rates of depression and generalized anxiety disorder, which can be triggered from experience stresses like social stigma, prejudice and discrimination, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

“No one should be dying because of their gender identity,” said Shay Stewart, ETA secretary. “No one should face this much persecution in a country where everyone is supposed to be free and equal. It’s that simple.”

Trans Lives Matter participants met at North Quad, where students and community members spoke out on transphobia and encouraged the spread of awareness through conversation.

“We want this to become a conversation that is happening on campus; something that someone isn’t afraid to talk about," Thomas said. "This conversation is about love and unity. This conversation is about the brotherhood and sisterhood of this country that we have failed to lose over the course of all these killings."

Before the march kicked off, Dalton Cromer, vice president of Spectrum, a LGBT Alliance group on campus, said the college transgender community is not understood and needs exposure. 

“This march will help to spread advocacy about transphobia hate and help by supplying trans people in the community with hope and support groups," Cromer said. 

Participants followed ETA members through campus and became unified in a chant led by Thomas, repeating, “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love and support one another. The only thing we have to lose is our chains. Trans lives matter. Trans lives matter.”

Once the group reached Frog Baby, everyone stopped and bowed their heads in a moment of silence for all the trans lives that have been lost. After respects were given, the group went for another round of protest and chanting back toward North Quad.

“It was amazing to see the reactions and support that we did," said freshman participant Jordan White. "I saw all kinds of different students stop and clap or cheer for us once they read the signs. To get that kind of a reaction from people is an amazing feeling.”

Thomas ended the march encouraging participants to understand that, even though the march had ended, the journey to fight this social injustice is still alive.

“Small and mighty will make a difference," Thomas said. "We have to continue to support [the LGBT community], continue to let them know they are our brothers and sisters. And that if they need us, we are there because we know they would do the same thing for us."