5 international stories of the week

<p>The sun forms crescent during solar eclipse in Kathmandu, Nepal, Sunday, June 21, 2020. <strong>(AP Photo/Niranjan Shrestha)</strong></p>

The sun forms crescent during solar eclipse in Kathmandu, Nepal, Sunday, June 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Niranjan Shrestha)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

COVID-19 updates from around the world, fashion brands challenged to confront racist attitudes, the mourning of victims of a suspected terror attack in England, poaching in Asia and Africa and a solar eclipse on the eastern hemisphere make up this week’s five international stories.

Members of the "Tempero de Criola" band perform amid the new coronavirus pandemic at the Turano favela, June 19, 2020, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. A group of musicians playing Samba offered a small concert to the residents of Turano favela, most of whom remain quarantined to curb the spread of COVID-19. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

Beijing sees drop in virus cases as Brazil passes 1 million

Authorities in China appeared to be winning their battle against an outbreak of coronavirus in Beijing on Saturday, but in parts of the Americas the pandemic raged unabated. Brazil surpassed 1 million confirmed infections, second only to the United States. Europe, in contrast, continued to emerge warily from lockdown, with hard-hit Britain considering easing social distancing rules to make it easier for restaurants, pubs and schools to reopen.

Read more: Virus Outbreak

American content creator Tamu McPherson sits on the sofa at her home June 16, 2020, in Milan, Italy. The protests against systemic racism are now putting the spotlight on the fashion world in its role as a cultural beacon. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

Luxury fashion challenged to confront racist attitudes

Global fashion brands have faced racial backlashes in the past, notably in the wake of scandals like the Gucci knitwear recalling blackface, Prada’s Little Black Sambo bag charm and Dolce&Gabbana’s anti-Asian comments. The protests against systemic racism are also putting the spotlight on the fashion world in its role as a cultural beacon, and emboldening insiders — some with lucrative deals that often assume their discretion — to speak up.

Read more: Fashion

Co-Headteacher Anne Kennedy, centre, speaks to media as colleagues and pupils stand together to take part in a period of silence at the Holt School  June 22, 2020, in Wokingham, England. They stood in memory of teacher James Furlong, a victim of a terror attack in nearby Reading. (Steve Parsons/PA via AP)

English town mourns victims of suspected terror attack

The English town of Reading mourned Monday for three people stabbed to death as they sat in a park in what is being treated as a terror attack, gathering for a moment of silence as police questioned the alleged lone attacker. More than 100 students lit candles and laid flowers in memory of history teacher James Furlong, who was named as one of the victims. At Holt School in nearby Wokingham, where he taught, a flag in the courtyard had been lowered to half-staff.

Read more: London

This November 2014 photo provided by the Wildlife Trust of India shows a leopard caught in a trap in a forest in Karnataka, India. Authorities in India are concerned a 2020 spike in poaching not only could kill more endangered tigers and leopards but also species these carnivores depend upon to survive. (WTI via AP)

Coronavirus lockdowns increase poaching in Asia, Africa

In many parts of the developing world, coronavirus lockdowns have sparked concern about increased illegal hunting that’s fueled by food shortages and a decline in law enforcement in some wildlife protection areas. At the same time, border closures and travel restrictions slowed illegal trade in certain high-value species. Countries in Asia and Africa are concerned about a spike in poaching incidents of different animals in their natural habitats.

Read more: Wildlife

A couple watches solar eclipse from the roof of their house in New Delhi, India, Sunday, June 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Manish Swarup)

Solar eclipse wows stargazers in Africa, Asia, Middle East

Stargazers in Africa, Asia and parts of the Middle East looked to the skies Sunday to witness a partial solar eclipse. It was known as a “ring of fire” because the moon covered most, but not all, of the sun. Millions from Dubai to Taiwan to Japan to India watched the solar spectacle. In Dubai, people could see over 85% of the sun covered by the moon, with photographers taking stunning photos of the eclipse over the Burj Khalifa building. 

Read more: Solar eclipses