5 national stories of the week

<p>Caucus goers check in at a caucus at Roosevelt High School, Monday, Feb. 3, 2020, in Des Moines, Iowa. <strong>(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)</strong></p>

Caucus goers check in at a caucus at Roosevelt High School, Monday, Feb. 3, 2020, in Des Moines, Iowa. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The 2020 Iowa Democratic caucus, a preview of President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech, the first U.S. patient of the new virus, the U.S. military’s new nuclear weapon and the shooting in a California Greyhound bus make up this week’s five national stories.

Democrats lay big caucus egg: No results from Iowa election

Democratic party officials in Iowa worked furiously Tuesday to deliver the delayed results of their first-in-the-nation caucus as frustrated presidential candidates claimed momentum and plowed ahead in their quest for the White House. Technology problems and reporting “inconsistencies” kept Iowa Democratic Party officials from releasing results from Monday’s caucus, the much-hyped kickoff to the 2020 primary.

Read More: Election 2020

In this Jan. 28, 2020, file photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally at the Wildwoods Convention Center Oceanfront in Wildwood, N.J. Trump will be facing his accusers Tuesday night during his State of the Union speech. (AP Photo/ Evan Vucci, File)

Trump faces accusers: What to watch during his big speech

On the brink of his Senate acquittal, President Donald Trump will be unleashing “relentless optimism” during his third State of the Union address, designed to pivot from his impeachment to his drive for reelection. Trump is speaking from a position of strength, with nearly complete control of the Republican Party. The theme of his speech: “The Great American Comeback.” It’ll be a different experience for Democrats who voted for Trump’s impeachment in the House.

Read more: Trump impeachment

Dr. George Diaz, section chief for infectious diseases at Providence Regional Medical Center, poses for a photo Jan. 23, 2020, in Everett, Wash. Diaz was part of the team that treated the first U.S. patient infected with the new virus from China. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

1st US patient with new virus leaves hospital, is recovering

The man who became the first U.S. patient infected with the new virus from China has left the hospital and said in a statement he is getting better and looking forward to life returning to normal, according to a statement from the man provided to The Associated Press Monday. The 35-year-old man thanked his doctors, nurses and other staff at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Washington, about 30 miles north of Seattle.

Read more: Virus Outbreak

In this 2008 photo released by the U.S. Navy, the Ohio-class ballistic-missile submarine USS Wyoming approaches Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga. The United States for the first time has deployed the newest addition to its nuclear arsenal. (Lt. Rebecca Rebarich/U.S. Navy via AP)

US adds low yield nuclear weapon to its submarine arsenal

The U.S. military has deployed a new addition to its nuclear arsenal — a long-range missile armed with a nuclear warhead of reduced destructive power. The so-called low-yield missile joins other more powerful weapons aboard stealthy submarines prowling the oceans. The debut deployment aboard long-range submarines is a landmark in U.S. nuclear weapons policy, the first major addition to the strategic nuclear arsenal in recent decades.

Read More: Nuclear weapons

Investigators are seen outside of a Greyhound bus after a passenger was killed on board Feb. 3, 2020, in Lebec, Calif. A gunman killed one passenger and wounded multiple others on a Greyhound bus traveling from Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay Area. (AP Photo/Jayne Kamin-Oncea)

1 dead, 5 wounded in shooting on Greyhound bus in California

A man cursing and muttering incoherently opened fire aboard a packed Greyhound bus in Southern California early Monday, killing one person and wounding five others in a seemingly random attack before passengers disarmed him. The driver of the Los Angeles-to-San Francisco bus pulled off onto the shoulder, where some of those aboard led the killer off the vehicle, and he was quickly taken into custody.

Read More: Shootings