5 national stories of the week

<p>Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., accompanied by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., left, takes the stage at campaign stop at the Whittemore Center Arena at the University of New Hampshire, Feb. 10, 2020, in Durham, N.H. <strong>(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)</strong></p>

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., accompanied by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., left, takes the stage at campaign stop at the Whittemore Center Arena at the University of New Hampshire, Feb. 10, 2020, in Durham, N.H. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The 2020 New Hampshire Democratic primary, the Chinese military hacking data of millions of Americans, President Donald Trump’s budget proposal, NCAA’s lobbying efforts in Congress and the record-low Oscars viewership make up this week’s five national stories.

Democratic presidential candidate former South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg speaks at a campaign event Feb. 10, 2020, in Exeter, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

What to watch in New Hampshire’s primary Tuesday night

The Democratic presidential race is deeply unsettled heading into the New Hampshire primary. It may be up to the state to put some structure around the chaotic contest, with Iowa being unable to declare a clear winner. Tuesday night’s primary might answer questions about whether there is a voter enthusiasm gap with fewer people voting in Iowa’s caucuses than in 2016, whether there is a clear alternative to Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and more.

Read More: Election 2020

Attorney General William Barr speaks during a news conference Feb. 10, 2020, at the Justice Department in Washington. The Justice Department is blaming Chinese military for one of the largest hacks in history. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

US says Chinese military stole masses of Americans’ data

Four members of the Chinese military have been charged with breaking into the computer networks of the Equifax credit reporting agency and stealing the personal information of tens of millions of Americans, the Justice Department said Monday, blaming Beijing for one of the largest hacks in history to target consumer data. The hackers in the 2017 breach stole the personal information of roughly 145 million Americans stored in the company’s databases.

Read more: Hacking

President Donald Trump's budget request for fiscal year 2021 arrives at the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill Feb. 10, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Trump’s $4.8 trillion budget proposal revisits rejected cuts

President Donald Trump unveiled a $4.8 trillion election year budget plan Monday that recycles deep, previously rejected cuts to domestic programs like food stamps, Medicaid and housing as the recipe for wrestling the federal budget back into balance. Trump’s fiscal 2021 plan promises the government’s deficit will crest above $1 trillion only for the current budget year before steadily decreasing to more manageable levels.

Read more: Politics

In this 2019 file photo, NCAA President Mark Emmert answers questions at a news conference at the Final Four college basketball tournament in Minneapolis. The NCAA and its allies spent nearly $1 million last year lobbying lawmakers to shape any reforms to the organization's liking. (AP Photo/Matt York, File)

AP Exclusive: NCAA, 2 conferences spend $750,000 on lobbying

As Congress considers whether to allow college athletes to receive endorsement money, the NCAA and its allies spent at least $750,000 last year lobbying lawmakers to shape any reforms to the organization’s liking. The NCAA last fall said it would allow athletes to “benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness.” But it has turned to Congress as more states follow the lead of California, where a law set for 2023 allows for athletes to earn endorsement money.

Read More: College Sports

Oscar statues stand outside Hollywood Boulevard in preparation for Sunday's 92nd Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre Feb. 5, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Oscars viewership plunges to record low

Without a host or a great deal of pizzazz, ABC’s telecast of the Academy Awards reached its smallest audience ever of 23.6 million viewers. The Nielsen company said Sunday night’s audience was down 20 percent from a year ago. The previous low-water mark for the Oscars was the 26.5 million people who watched in 2018. The Oscars were held sooner in the year than usual, and that may have prevented the show from building buzz.

Read More: Academy Awards