5 international stories of the week

<p>Palestinian Christians celebrate the lighting of a Christmas tree outside the Church of the Nativity, traditionally believed by Christians to be the birthplace of Jesus Christ in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019. <strong>(AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)</strong></p>

Palestinian Christians celebrate the lighting of a Christmas tree outside the Church of the Nativity, traditionally believed by Christians to be the birthplace of Jesus Christ in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Suspension of U.S. Navy visits to Hong Kong, the COP25 climate summit, the vigil for the London Bridge attack, a relic believed to be from Jesus’ manger and a cartel attack near the U.S.-Mexico border make up this week’s five international stories.

A pro-democracy supporter waves a flag during a rally by the advertising industry Dec. 2, 2019, in Hong Kong. Thousands of people took to the city's streets Sunday in a new wave of protests, but police fired tear gas after some demonstrators hurled bricks and smoke bombs. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

China to suspend US Navy visits to Hong Kong over new law

China said Monday it will suspend U.S. Navy visits to Hong Kong and sanction several American pro-democracy organizations in retaliation for signing into law legislation supporting human rights in the semi-autonomous territory. The steps are “in response to the U.S.’s unreasonable behavior,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said, adding that the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act “seriously interfered” in China’s internal affairs.

Read more: Hong Kong

Attendees sit next to a security control access at the COP25 climate talks summit Dec. 2, 2019, in Madrid. Delegates from almost 200 countries have begun a two-week international climate conference that seeks to step-up efforts to stop global warming. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

UN chief urges countries not to surrender on climate fight

U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres urged countries Monday not to give up in the fight against climate change, as representatives from nearly 200 countries gathered in Madrid for the COP25 summit, which aims to put the finishing touches to the 2015 Paris accord. That involves creating a functioning international emissions-trading system and compensating poor countries for losses they suffer from rising sea levels and other consequences of climate change.

Read more: Climate Change

The sun reflects off a building in the City of London, near London Bridge Dec. 1, 2019. A man wearing a fake suicide vest was subdued by bystanders as he went on a knife rampage killing two people and wounding others before being shot dead by police on the bridge Nov. 29, 2019. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Vigil honors London attack victims; politicians trade blame

London Bridge reopened Monday, three days after a man previously convicted of terrorism offenses stabbed two people to death and injured three others before being shot dead by police during an event designed to connect graduate students with prisoners. Political leaders who have traded blame for security failures that allowed the attack attended a vigil to remember the victims and honor members of the emergency services and bystanders who fought the attacker.

Read more: London

Christian clergymen carry a wooden relic believed to be from Jesus' manger Nov. 29, 2019, at the Church of Saint Saviour in Jerusalem's old city. Christians are celebrating the return to the Holy Land of a tiny wooden relic believed to be from Jesus' manger. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Relic thought to be from Jesus’ manger arrives in Bethlehem

A tiny wooden relic, believed by some Christians to be part of Jesus’ manger, arrived Saturday in its permanent home in Bethlehem, West Bank, 1,400 years after it was sent to Rome as a gift to the pope. The return of the relic by the Vatican to the holy site, where tradition says Jesus was born, was a spirit-lifting moment for the Palestinians, a small minority of whom are Christian. It coincides with Advent, a four-week period leading up to Christmas. 

Read more: Christmas

The City Hall of Villa Union is riddled with bullet holes Nov. 30, 2019, after a gun battle between Mexican security forces and suspected cartel gunmen. On Sunday, the security forces killed seven more cartel members, putting the overall death toll at 20. (AP Photo/Gerardo Sanchez)

Death toll put at 20 for Mexico cartel attack near US border

Mexican security forces Sunday killed seven more members of a presumed cartel assault force that rolled into the town of Villa Union near the Texas border and staged an hour-long attack, putting the overall death toll at 20. The reason for the military-style attack remain unclear. Cartels have been contending for control of smuggling routes in northern Mexico, but there was no immediate evidence that a rival cartel had been targeted in the town.

Read more: Mexico