SGA reviews Elevate platform points, passes budget & hygiene resolution

<p>Aiden Medellin, president of Student Government Association, gives the "State of the Senate" presentation Sept. 25 outlining Elevate's progress on its platform points so far this year at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Medellin said the slate has accomplished five of its 15 points so far. <strong>John Lynch, DN</strong></p>

Aiden Medellin, president of Student Government Association, gives the "State of the Senate" presentation Sept. 25 outlining Elevate's progress on its platform points so far this year at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Medellin said the slate has accomplished five of its 15 points so far. John Lynch, DN

The Student Government Association (SGA) began its meeting Sept. 25 with a “State of the Senate” presentation from president Aiden Medellin on how the Elevate slate has been accomplishing its platform points so far.

Below is a list of the points Medellin said Elevate slate has completed this year:

Completed/Ongoing

Saturday Stadium Bus

Over the last two stadium games, 240 riders used the Saturday bus.

Additional Blue Loop Bus

Sue Weller, Director of Ball State’s Facilities Planning and Management, worked with the Elevate slate this summer to add an additional Blue Loop bus.

Expedite Counseling Sessions

Medellin said the Counseling Center is “operating extremely well” compared to how it was performing five years ago, and called the point complete.

Monthly Invites to Outside Organizations (Ongoing)

SGA has hosted two outside organizations so far this semester, the Homecoming Committee and Ball State’s Technical Association of the Graphic Arts (TAGA). Medellin said SGA should use TAGA as a resource for any graphics they needed created.

Weekly Social Media Updates (Ongoing)

SGA has been more active on social media “so everyone knows SGA exists,'' Medellin said.

Needs work/To be completed

Map App Improvements

Chief of Staff Connor Sanburn, who is also a project manager at Digital Corps, will be meeting with Digital Corps to improve the app for disabled students.

Weekly Meal Allotment

Ball State’s University Dining has said that enacting SGA’s plans of removing the maximum number of three meal swipes each day in favor of using them whenever the student chooses are not sustainable with the amount of food they purchase and prepare each week.

24/7 Convenience Store

The new dining hall on the North end of campus will already accommodate a convenience store, but that President Geoffrey Mearns was receptive to Elevate’s idea of placing one near the center of campus, though he had some concerns.

Green To-Go Containers

Medellin said University Dining was somewhat confused by SGA’s initiative to replace all to-go containers on campus with recyclable containers, but Medellin said the initiative should be “easily attainable.”

Big Entertainment at Emens

Top choices for which artists could come to Emens, as voted by the students, were Lil Jon, Hoodie Allen, Noah Cyrus and Marc E. Bassy. SGA has been working with Emens Director Bob Meyers, who helped them put together a budget that could cost around $60,000.

Black Friday Bookstore Event

Medellin said TIS College Bookstore in the Village was “really positive” about being a part of a Black Friday event, and that SGA could track student attendance by having them swipe in at the event.

Peer Mentor Program

Laura Helms, Associate Dean of University College, who attended the meeting, was asked to contribute to a peer mentor program. Helms had hosted a similar event with SGA senators.

Commuter Living Learning Community (LLC) Access

SGA has yet to reach out to the administration on the issue of getting access to LLCs. Medellin also said it may require legislation by SGA to bring the issue to the administration.

Sexual Assault Monologue Event

SGA has held a panel on sexual assault and is working with William Betts and the counseling center on this platform point.

Expanding Gender-Inclusive Housing

Outside of a few emails, SGA has yet to address gender-inclusive housing.

Following the presentation, last week’s budget proposal was reviewed and discussed again. Senator Eli Lucas of the organizational caucuses proposed an amendment stating that $5,000 be diverted from booking entertainment at Emens to the counseling center.

Though the amendment failed, the budget passed, 38-1 with one abstaining vote.

Finally, another policy from last week, a resolution calling for sanitary dispensaries to be installed in all Ball State restrooms regardless of the gender of the restroom, passed unanimously, 42-0.

Contact John Lynch with comments at jplynch@bsu.edu or on Twitter @WritesLynch.