Ball State appoints new dean for College of Fine Arts

<p>Seth Beckman will begin his position as dean of Ball State's College of Fine Arts on July 1. Beckman has previously held positions at several schools of music in Florida, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. <strong>Marc Ransford, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Seth Beckman will begin his position as dean of Ball State's College of Fine Arts on July 1. Beckman has previously held positions at several schools of music in Florida, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. Marc Ransford, Photo Provided

Seth Beckman, the next dean of the College of Fine Arts, has held academic and administrative positions at the following universities:

• Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
  • Florida State University College of Music
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign School of Music
  • Bemidji State University
  • Stephen F. Austin State University
  • Manchester College (now Manchester University)

Seth Beckman will be the next dean of the College of Fine Arts, according to a press release.

Beckman, a Ball State alumnus who earned his masters degree in music and doctoral degree at the university, currently serves as dean of  the Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, a position he's held since 2014.

He has previously held academic and administrative positions at at Florida State University College of Music in Tallahassee, the School of Music at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Bemidji State University in Minnesota, Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas and Manchester College (now Manchester University) in North Manchester, Indiana.

"Seth brings a collaborative leadership style that will serve the College of Fine Arts well," said Susana Rivera-Mills, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, in the release. "He has solid experience serving as a dean, and he is passionate about the arts in a way that engages communities."

Beckman's approach "cultivates an environment that makes the arts accessible," she said.

Rivera-Mills thanked Interim Dean of the college Michael O'Hara and everyone who participated in the search for the new dean.

“It is a distinct privilege to be selected to serve as the next dean of Ball State’s College of Fine Arts and to join the campus leadership team guided by President Mearns and Provost Rivera-Mills,” Beckman said in a press release. 

Beckman will start as the new dean July 1.