Muncie Community School students awarded for leadership

<p>Muncie Community Schools student senior Omar Rodriquez stands in the auditorium after the MLK Citizenship Award event Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, at Muncie Central High School. Rodriguez has won the award for 10 consecutive&nbsp;years. <strong>Scott Fleener, DN</strong></p>

Muncie Community Schools student senior Omar Rodriquez stands in the auditorium after the MLK Citizenship Award event Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, at Muncie Central High School. Rodriguez has won the award for 10 consecutive years. Scott Fleener, DN

Leadership and courage.

These are the qualities Martin Luther King Jr. and more than 140 Muncie Community School (MCS) students had, said Dr. Mia Johnson, vice chancellor for academic affairs at Ivy Tech Community College for Muncie and Henry County.

MCS students were awarded for their demonstration of positive citizenship through kindness, leadership and respectfulness at the 2019 MLK Youth Citizenship award event Saturday at Muncie Central High School.  Johnson was the keynote speaker. 

The event recognized students “who have kept Dr. King’s dream alive,” said Rhonda Ward, MCS director of diversity and community services.

“You know that the groundwork is being laid for [students] to be successful,” said Muncie mayor Dennis Tyler. “It excites me to see how our culture has changed over the years, and how our inclusion and diversity has changed in the right way, in a more welcoming way."

Omar Rodriguez, a Muncie Central High School senior, who has won the award 10 years in a row, said, “It really makes me feel great about myself, my family, my school, the community and everything.” 

Rodriguez hopes to attend Purdue or Ball State to pursue a career as a chemical engineer.

“There are amazing kids in every single one of these schools, that will go on to make amazing things in their lives,” Rodriguez said.

Contact Scott Fleener with comments at jsfleener@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Scott_Reports.