Ball State kicks off its centennial celebrations

The university kicked off its centennial celebrations with a community picnic Friday, June 15. This is just the first of many celebratory events throughout the centennial year. 

Ball State’s campus closed early Friday to allow  students, faculty and staff to celebrate the kick off of the university's centennial.

Those who came to the quad enjoyed cake, ice cream, music and “family reunion style competitive games.” People also brought items to store in a centennial time capsule. 

Friday’s date was chosen, according to Ball State’s website, because on June 17, 1918, Ball State began accepting student registrations. 

Planning for the celebration took nine months said Kathy Wolf, vice president of marketing and communication at Ball State.

Wolf said the marketing team has input “from the entire university” on the centennial events, of which Friday’s was just the beginning. 

President Geoffrey Mearns said Friday’s event was an “informal celebration” to kick off the centennial. 

“We have a proud past to celebrate, but also a very bright future and we are in the process of developing that,” Mearns said. 

The next centennial event will take place Sept. 6 at Emens Auditorium, where a centennial documentary will premiere. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter @AndrewSmithNews.