Faculty council committee revises major, approves new minor

<p><strong>Sara Barker, DN</strong></p>

Sara Barker, DN

In its last meeting, one committee within faculty council revised two new major concentrations and two minors, approved a new minor and revised Ball State’s newest major.

Tarek Mahfouz, the chair of faculty council and a member of the undergraduate education committee, updated council members Thursday on the new and revised areas of study.

The revised major, approved by the Board of trustees Feb. 3, is applied behavior analysis with an emphasis in autism. The revision will allow undergraduate students to take classes on the main campus, not just online.

After a group of chemistry faculty members explained to the committee that certain concentrations within the discipline don’t make sense curriculum-wise, the committee also approved revisions to the chemistry major’s professional, general and teaching concentrations, as well as changes to the chemistry minor.

“They explained everything in-depth and they had a very well-laid plan for it,” Mahfouz said.

The committee also approved a new minor in Arabic, as well as revised the geography and philosophy minors.

From here, the approvals and revisions will go to a vote in faculty council. It remains to be seen if the approvals will be recommended for approval to the Board of Trustees yet.

The next faculty council meeting is Nov. 9 and is open to the public in David Letterman Communication and Media Building 125.

Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @sarabarker326.