Ball State to play Purdue for the 2nd time this season

<p>Junior Caleb Stayton waits for a pitch in Ball State's 5-4 home win&nbsp;Xavier on April 5. Stayton won his first MAC West Player of the Week award for his performance last week, as he finished 11-17 through four games. <em>DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR</em></p>

Junior Caleb Stayton waits for a pitch in Ball State's 5-4 home win Xavier on April 5. Stayton won his first MAC West Player of the Week award for his performance last week, as he finished 11-17 through four games. DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR

Team Statistics

Ball State batting average - .298

Purdue batting average - .255

Ball State ERA - 3.76

Purdue ERA - 5.61

Ball State baseball (23-14, 9-3 MAC)  will head to West Lafayette to take on Purdue (5-27, 1-11 Big Ten) April 19 at 6 p.m.

In their last matchup on March 22 in Muncie, the Cardinals erased a seven-run deficit in a come-from-behind 9-8 victory over the Boilermakers.

Ball State carries a .298 team batting average into the game, the best average in the Mid-American Conference.

Purdue, however, is last in the Big Ten with a .255 batting average. The Boilermakers' 5.61 ERA is also the second-worst mark in the Big Ten, while the Cardinals 3.76 ERA is second best in the MAC.

Junior first baseman Caleb Stayton leads the MAC with a .400 batting average and is tied for the second in the National Collegiate Athletic Association with 54 RBIs.

Junior right fielder Alex Call is second in the MAC with a .395 batting average and is third in the NCAA with 47 runs scored.

Ball State is currently 2-1 against in-state opponents, with wins against Purdue and Valparaiso and a road loss against Indiana.