Terry King has no plans to apply for position long-term

<p>Acting President Terry King said Jan. 27 he has no plans to apply for the position long-term. King also served as interim president following Jo Ann Gora's retirement in 2014. <em>DN PHOTO KELLEN HAZELIP</em></p>

Acting President Terry King said Jan. 27 he has no plans to apply for the position long-term. King also served as interim president following Jo Ann Gora's retirement in 2014. DN PHOTO KELLEN HAZELIP

Terry King, the acting president, said today he does not have plans to apply for president.

"I really enjoy my job as provost, and I think a new president will come in with new ideas, new energy and fresh approaches to things, so I'm looking forward to that," King said.

Why did President Ferguson leave? We looked into his contract for answers.

Although he said the hiring timeline for a new president is up to the Board of Trustees, he estimated it would take around the same amount of time to fill the position as when the university hired former President Paul W. Ferguson – seven months.

The trustees will have a regular meeting Jan. 29. 

In the meantime, King plans to choose an interim provost to fill his role by this weekend. The provost is mainly responsible for overseeing academic affairs.

"This university is in a really good place with a lot of great momentum right now," King said. "Academic programs are doing extraordinarily well, students are active and enjoying their great experiences and [there is] lots of community engagement. My priority is making sure this stuff keeps moving ahead.”

King has been at the university for nearly 10 years and functioned as the interim president while the university searched for a new president following Jo Ann Gora's retirement. He sent out an email to alumni, faculty, staff and students today explaining the university's commitment to moving forward.

While he said administration will experience a "bump in the road" as positions are filled, there shouldn't be any major changes. Ferguson's Centennial Commitment was a refresh of the strategic plan.

"It’s not a matter of changing anything or building on anything new, it’s just a matter of continuing what we’re doing," King said. "In another several years, we’ll be ready to do our next strategic plan. We’re right at the place we want to be and I'm really excited for that.”