Terry King to assume role of interim president

Terry King - Provost
Terry King - Provost

Terry King has been here before.

King, provost and vice president for academic affairs, is taking over as interim president of Ball State University following the departure of President Paul W. Ferguson.

"Let me assure our students that the Board of Trustees has offered great confidence in and support for the administration and faculty as we continue to move forward with The Centennial Commitment, and as we prepare for the celebration of the university’s 100th anniversary," King said in an email a few hours after the announcement. "They are very aware of positive momentum of the faculty and students, and the great work that occurs everyday across our campus. These accomplishments are well worth celebrating. I very much look forward to working with the faculty, the university staff, and the Cabinet as we move forward on this very positive path."

King previously held the position of interim president in 2014, after Jo Ann Gora resigned as president after 10 years in the office and before Ferguson took office on Aug. 1 of that year. 

The last time he served as interim president, King helped prepare for Ferguson's transition into presidency. This included compiling information Ferguson would need, including the university's long-range plans and projects.

Formerly the dean of Kansas State University’s College of Engineering, King came to Ball State in 2006. In an earlier interview with the Daily News, King said he was attracted to Ball State because of its potential for growth.

“If you look at where the university was 10 years ago or 20 years ago or 30 years ago, the differences are obvious,” he said then. “It has been really fun to be a part of that and to think about what is happening in the future.”

Ferguson's unexplained resignation came about a year and a half after he took office. His term as president will officially end after a two-month sabbatical.

The last time he filled in as president, the provost sounded optimistic about whatever would come next.

“I like change, and so I am looking forward to the change,” he said then. “Things have to change, so you might as well be involved in it. I am really looking forward to it.”