Gymnastics falls in last meet before MAC Championships

The Ball State gymnastics team faced Northern Illinois in the final home match of the season on Feb. 27 at Irving Gymnasium. Ball State won 194.2-193.25.

Top scorers: 

Floor: Junior Denasiha Christian: 9.8

Beam: Freshman Baylee Bell: 9.750 

Vault: Christian: 9.875

Bars: Junior Angela Durkac: 9.825

The Ball State gymnastics team fell to Kentucky and Pittsburgh in its last meet of the season before MAC championships, putting its record at 3-10 overall.

Ball State scored a 194.200, and Kentucky and Pittsburgh scored a 196.175 and a 194.450, respectively.

“The meet went OK, it wasn’t a stellar performance for us, but it was a solid performance,” head coach Joanna Saleem said. “We had to make a couple of substitutions … on vault and floor, so a couple of changes here and there, but the team seemed to handle it pretty well.”

Saleem said the team had some mistakes on floor that cost them the win. 

The Cardinals were within a few tenths of the win, but three out of bound tumbles lost the points for it.

“When you’re that close to a win, you kind of know you gave it away a bit,” Saleem said. “So it’s kind of discouraging, because I know we can do better.”

However, Saleem said it still was a great score, and the team is on track and performing well.

Junior Denasiha Christian finished first overall on vault with a score of 9.875, and Saleem called her performance “beautiful.” Junior Angela Durkac tied for third on bars, with a 9.825 score.

“We did a great job on bars tonight and we‘ve been waiting for that for a couple of weeks now,” Saleem said. “So it was really nice to see the team on bars finish real strong the way they did tonight.”

Freshman Baylee Bell was the top Cardinal scorer for beam with a 9.750 and Christian was the top scorer for the Cardinals on floor with a 9.8.

"I think that we need to kind of stay the course with a lot of the things we’ve been doing [before MACs],” Saleem said. “We need to make sure as a group we’re pushing each other and make sure we are focusing on all of those little details."

The Cardinals travel to Kent State University to compete at the MAC Championship meet on March 21.