New local thrift store aims to feature local art, announces grand opening

Vintage Shoppe Thrift & Gift opened in January in Muncie. The store will have a grand opening on Feb. 7 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Vintage Shoppe Thrift & Gift

Hours: Wednesday through Saturday 11 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Prices: Cloths and shoes are $10 and under.

A local artist recently opened up a thrift store and is hoping to use her shop to help out other local artists.

Jasmin Shopp and her husband are both artists and currently sell their art in their store, Vintage Shoppe Thrift & Gift. Shopp said she wants to start selling other works by local artists alongside her thrift merchandise.

Shopp opened her thrift store in January after ten years of moving around the U.S. She is originally from New Castle, Indiana. 

Shopp said she worked in restaurants and a bank from when she was 18 years old up until she was 28 years old. She wanted to work in interior design and for the fashion industry since she was little but the plan did not work out.

“I’ve always wanted to own my own business to work for myself and I love thrift stores and fashion,” Shopp said. 

Shopp and her husband moved to Muncie after returning to Indiana. The couple had a baby and decided to open up a store.

“It was perfect timing and it worked out perfectly,” she said. “We have a great location and I love the downtown Muncie area.”

Shopp said her store is different from other stores because she doesn’t make consignment deals.

For Vintage Shoppe, the items are clothing Shopp previously owned or items she hand selects. Shopp said everything she puts out is something she thinks is trendy or what people would like.

A lot of the clothes she sells she has had for some time. She claims she is addicted to thrift store shopping, so she gets other items from other stores, rummage sales and estate sales.

“I don’t put just anything out,” Shoppe said. “Everything is clean and ready to wear.”

Shopp and her husband have not done any advertising for their business and have found the store to be doing well so far. Her main appeal was college students. 

“I know students are on a budget and here they can get cool one-of-a-kind things they’re not going to find elsewhere for really cheap,” she said. “They can get whole outfits for 20 dollars, including shoes.”

The store will have a grand opening Saturday, Feb. 7, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. with refreshments and free treats and items for customers.