?SOFTBALL: Ball State to take on Indiana

Senior Jennifer Gilbert watches the pitcher before trying to steal second base against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State softball team will travel today to Bloomington, Ind., to take on in-state rival Indiana University in a non-conference doubleheader. Both teams are coming off wins.

The Cardinals are 23-14 on the year while the Hoosiers come in with a 12-29-1 record.

Ball State looks to continue its success offensively. Indiana opponents are hitting .319 on the season. Led by senior outfielder Jennifer Gilbert, Ball State leads the Mid-American Conference in multiple hitting categories.

Sophomores Nicole Steinbach and Kelsey Schifferdecker will try to shut down Indiana in light of a successful weekend of MAC games. Indiana is led offensively by redshirt senior Breanna Saucedo with a .342 average and sophomore Kassi Farmer with a team-leading seven home runs and 19 RBIs.

The Hoosiers’ pitching staff of Lora Olson, Brooke Boetjer and Meaghan Murphy will have their hands full trying to stop Ball State. All have started more than 10 games this season and have ERAs of more than 4.34.

The games will start at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.