?Ball State students outline future of downtown neighborhood

<p>Abdulla Difalla, an urban planning graduate student, outlines structures for his group's Muncie Maker's District proposal. His group is one of four. DN PHOTO ARIC CHOKEY</p>

Abdulla Difalla, an urban planning graduate student, outlines structures for his group's Muncie Maker's District proposal. His group is one of four. DN PHOTO ARIC CHOKEY

Muncie Maker District

Ball State students are working with Muncie Arts and Culture Council to transform the Goldsmith C. Gilbert Historic District into a maker district.

This six-block, downtown neighborhood would be an area for entrepreneurs, artists and inventors to live, create and run workshops.

Urban planning graduate students polished their ideas to transform a six-block, downtown neighborhood into a do-it-yourself hub for local “makers.”

“The concept is we were once a country of a lot of ‘makers,’” said Scott Truex, an associate professor of urban planning. “An artist is a maker, but so is a baker, a software developer and a seamstress. The movement across the country is working to create places where entrepreneurs — people who like to invent things — can come in and there are resources.”

The plan for the hub, the Muncie Maker District, would renovate vacant properties of the Goldsmith C. Gilbert Historic District neighborhood into workshops for entrepreneurs, artists and inventors. The aim of the project is to help incubate ideas of individuals and create a basis to start their own business ventures.

For three weeks, four teams of students worked to create their own ideas on how the district should be designed. On Thursday, students received input on their ideas from residents of the Goldsmith C. Gilbert Historic District neighborhood during a symposium that Truex organized.

“There’s a lot to a project like this,” said Sherri Contos, director of the Muncie Arts and Culture Council. “We’re at the investigative stage looking at what it would involve.”

Students will present their final ideas to the public April 24 at Inside Out in downtown Muncie.