SOFTBALL: Non-conference schedule prepares Ball State for MAC play

Nicole Steinbach pitches the first game against Northern Illinois on April 5. Ball State would sweep both games. DN PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

The Ball State softball team is currently sitting at 18-11. Though content with the team’s current standing, Ball State head coah Tyra Perry is even more impressed by the difficulty of the team’s 2014 non-conference schedule.

“We have played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in Ball State history and one of the toughest in the Mid-American Conference,” Perry said. “Facing the pitchers and these teams will definitely help us and have helped us become a better team.”

After wrapping up the Mizzou Tournament on a three-game winning streak, Ball State rounded out its regular season tournament schedule. The team was able to outscore its opponents 22-7 in those last three games.

“We put together some solid pitching performances and backed it up defensively,” Perry said. “We also were able to put some hits together and score some runs. We hadn’t done this in awhile.”

The team has also played in the Century Link Classic, the Buffalo Wild Wings Spartan Invitational, the Blues City Classic, the Louisville Slugger Invitational and the War Eagle Classic. This schedule has put the Cardinals up against many ranked opponents this year. Ball State’s biggest win of the year came earlier this month against then ranked No. 3 Arizona State, a 3-0 shutout victory.

Heading into MAC conference play, it appears that the Cardinals are hitting their stride. Sophomore pitcher Nicole Steinbach pointed to the team’s current winning streak to emphasize the momentum that her team carries after playing these tough opponents.

“We were staying relaxed and playing our game, knowing that we can dominate any one of our opponents if we play our game,” Steinbach said.

Ball State will look to continue its success as it hits the home stretch of its schedule. Ball State opens its MAC schedule on the road against Buffalo on Friday.