Putin signs treaty to add Crimea to map of Russia

Ukrainian Col. Igor Bedzay gives instructions to his soldiers in Crimea, Ukraine on Monday, March 17, 2014. (Sergei L. Loiko/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

MOSCOW (AP) — With a sweep of his pen, President Vladimir Putin added Crimea to the map of Russia on Tuesday, describing the move as correcting a past injustice and responding to what he called Western encroachment upon Russia’s vital interests.

While his actions were met with cheers in Crimea and Russia, Ukraine’s new government called Putin a threat to the whole world, and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden warned that the U.S. and Europe will impose further sanctions against Moscow.

“The world has seen through Russia’s actions and has rejected the flawed logic,” Biden said as he met with anxious European leaders in Poland.

In an emotional 40-minute speech televised live from the Kremlin’s white-and-gold St. George hall, the Russian leader said he was merely restoring order to history by incorporating Crimea.

“In people’s hearts and minds, Crimea has always been an integral part of Russia,” he declared.

Here is a look at what led up to the inclusion of Crimea into Russia: