Muncie Community School Board votes to close one high school

The Muncie Community School Board voted 4-1 Monday night in favor of closing one of its two high schools.

This vote came after Muncie residents voted no on a school levy.

Central High School will remain open while Southside High School will become a middle school. Wilson Middle School students will go to Southside, leaving Wilson vacant. All changes will take place prior to the 2014-15 school year.

Tim Heller, superintendent of Muncie Community Schools, said the choice was made because Central High School is the only school able to hold all ninth-graders through 12th-graders in the district. He also said moving the sixth graders to the elementary schools would cause overcrowding.

Many members of the crowd responded with cheers to the single member of the board who voted against the proposal.

Alison Jackson chose to attend the meeting, hosted at the Muncie Area Career Center, because she is a Southside alumna and a teacher at Northside Middle School. Her sister also is a teacher at Southside High School.

“I grew up in Muncie,” Jackson said. “My elementary is closed. Wilson was my middle school, and it’s going to be closed; and Southside was my high school, and it’s going to be closed. That’s hard to think about, but sometimes, change is good. We just got to roll with the punches and see what comes.”