University to review @bsu_makeouts photo, may be against policy

Screenshot of the @bsu_makeouts Twitter account. DN PHOTO

UPDATE: The creator of @bsu_makeouts said she took down the controversial tweet today, but doesn’t plan on deleting the account, which has more than 900 followers.

“I knew that if I kept [the tweet] up, it would become even more controversial,” she said.

The girl, a Ball State student, created the account a couple weeks into the school year, mimicking one from last year that was taken down.

The photo that is being questioned shows two people engaging in oral sex and was retweeted by @bsu_makeouts earlier in September.

The Office of Student Rights and Community Standards received a complaint about a photo, said Mike Gillilan, director of the office.

He said it is not clear that the people were aware the photo was being taken, which could be a violation of privacy and sexual misconduct.

The @bsu_makeouts creator said she was surprised the photo was being investigated.

“I was a little shocked because if you are going to do something like that in public, you should get public indecency,” she said. “I do think that one takes it a little far.”

She said she doesn’t feel like the people in her photos are easily identifiable.

“I am going to be a little more careful about some of the pictures [and] make sure they are just make outs, not anything more,” she said.

If the photo is determined to be against the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, Gillilan said the consequences for the person who originally tweeted it could range from an official warning to expulsion from the university, but it is too soon to tell.