Cornerstone Center for the Arts hosts first Swap & Sale

Glue sticks and light bulbs are considered currency at Cornerstone Center for the Arts’ first Swap & Sale this week.

The sale is a combination of a rummage sale and a surplus swap where people can buy or trade for anything from decorations to office equipment.

The Swap & Sale is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday in the Colonnade Room, which is on the first floor of the center at 520 E. Main St.

Brett Ellison, director of rentals and events at Cornerstone, said there are at least 100 items up for grabs. Cornerstone will lay out decorations, office furniture, computer monitors, keyboards and other items, all for sale or for swap. Decorations include China dishware, centerpiece items once used in banquets and even some antique chandeliers.

“It’s definitely a mixture of vintage and newer items,” said Carly Acree, Cornerstone education and marketing coordinator. “There are antique finds and more modern things.”

Cornerstone Center for the Arts is a nonprofit organization that offers artistic classes and hosts community events and performances.

Acree said unused items were building up in the center after 15 years of operation, so they decided to trade unused items for needed ones. She said donating class supplies makes a huge difference for the 1,200 to 1,500 individuals taking classes at Cornerstone.

“It improves the quality of the class and students get more out of it,” Acree said. “With more supplies, we can offer more classes.”

When it comes to swapping, the main idea is item for item. However, things like the size and the value of the items are taken into consideration.

Cornerstone’s wish list ranges from craft and office supplies to tools and the full list can be seen on the center’s site. Cash and card are accepted for items as well, and each donation helps support the center’s educational programs. Ellison said art supplies are most needed, as they are the hardest things for the nonprofit to buy.

Acree said students can find items to fill their new houses, apartments and dorm rooms versus going to a chain store for decorating needs, and at the same time, they can help the community.

“You never know what unique finds you will come across,” Ellison said.