The Top Five Oscars Recap

The Oscars hit its 85th year on Sunday with a resounding bang. The stage thundered with performances, acts and the footsteps of award-winning directors and actors. With close competition and so many film legends packed into one place, this particular show had its golden moments and “did that just happen?” double takes all orchestrated by host Seth MacFarlane. 

The cast of “The Avengers” squabbled before presenting “Life of Pi” with best cinematography and visual effects. The star-packed “Les Miserables” cast reunited and sang live on stage. Jennifer Lawrence tripped up the stairs while receiving “Best Actress.” Joining Hollywood’s most recognized film talent was First Lady Michelle Obama via telecast, who presented the award for best picture with Jack Nicholson. However, as Family Guy creator MacFarlane held the mic, he pushed the limits of comedy as far as he could go. Here’s the funny, inappropriate and awkward countdown of the 2013 Oscars. 

McFarlane described the violent Best Picture nominee “Django: Unchained” as a “Chris Brown and Rihanna date movie.” Following the joke, MacFarlane said in an aside, “That’s what they were afraid he would do.” In reference to the use of the N-word in the film, MacFarlane said the movie was “loosely based off of Mel Gibson’s voicemails.”

During MacFarlane’s opening Oscar’s speech, a giant screen displaying a distraught William Shatner as Captain Kirk interrupted the spiel. Shatner warned that the Oscars will be a disaster. Claiming to be from the future, Shatner showed what would be the show’s darkest moment. This includes MacFarlane dancing and singing with a tuxedoed chorus in a number called, “We Saw Your Boobs,” which correlated actresses such as Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway with films where they appeared topless. 

Another revelation from Shatner presented MacFarlane doing a reenactment of “Flight” using only sock puppets. The Denzel Washington sock puppet downed hard liquor and snorted cocaine in the cockpit.

MacFarlane dressed as Sally Field’s T.V. character in “The Flying Nun” and shared his undying love. MacFarlane, suspended by wires, hovered over Field as she ate dinner in the green room and persuaded her to run away with him. This ends in a make-out session and the two speeding away in a Trans Am.

Last but not least the dirty-minded teddy bear of MacFarlane’s latest comedy, “Ted,” wandered on stage with Mark Wahlberg. Ted demanded to know the location of “the big post-Oscars orgy.” Finally Wahlberg conceded that it was at Jack Nicholson’s house.