Dreamwork’s lovable Shrek and Donkey take the stage at Emens

Perry Sook plays Shrek in “Shrek the Musical.” The musical inspired by the 2001 film will open at at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in  John R. Emens Auditorium. PHOTOS PROVIDED BY CATHERINE MAJOR
Perry Sook plays Shrek in “Shrek the Musical.” The musical inspired by the 2001 film will open at at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in John R. Emens Auditorium. PHOTOS PROVIDED BY CATHERINE MAJOR

Musical numbers, make-up, mileage and what he can pack in his suitcases have measured Perry Sook’s life for months.

The University of Oklahoma student has been on the road since October with “Shrek the Musical” during its U.S. tour. Sook landed the role of Shrek and has been bringing the well known character to life across the country.

“I luckily got to audition for the role and was called back and then offered the role,” Sook said. “It was a great example of being in the right place at the right time, honestly.”

The musical’s next stop is to John R. Emens Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

The musical stays true to the original 2001 movie “Shrek,” which tells the story of an isolated ogre who goes on an adventure with a talking donkey to reclaim his land.

The musical brings 19 new songs to the story and gives more back story to several characters, Sook said.

“Those who love the movie will get everything they love about it, but there will be more stuff added to the storyline,” Sook said. “The changes and additions really enhance the storyline and the audience get to explore new parts of the story.”

Sook has been living out of his suitcases and touring bus since the beginning of October when the tour began in Anchorage, Alaska. Since then he has travelled across the country only stopping to do shows in some cities.

Sook doesn’t visit each city for long, but he’s getting a firsthand look at America through the window of his tour bus. Sook said he gets to see places he wouldn’t get to if he was in the classroom or studying on his bed.

“It’s hard sometimes,” he said. “I live and breathe this musical, and sometimes we play eight shows a week in eight different cities. My life is bus, show and back onto the bus to go to another show.

“The days I have off I send exploring the cities with the cast.”

Sook is still enrolled at the University of Oklahoma as part of a study abroad program as he continues touring into April.

“Shrek the Musical” is the first show of the Spring Semester at Emens and is free for Ball State students in advance, and $11 at the door.

Freshman theater major Gabbi Boyd is looking forward to seeing the touring Broadway musical since she doesn’t get the opportunity to see professional musicals very often.

“I was hesitant at first about whether I would like it or not when it first came out a couple years ago but after I heard the music I was sold,” she said.

Rachel Kientz, a sophomore food and hospitality management major, is going to the show to fill the free time she has at the start of the semester.

“It’s a free show, and I love ‘Shrek’ so I thought it would be a fun way to spend my first Thursday night back,” Kientz said.

What: “Shrek the Musical”
When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday
Where: John R. Emens Auditorium
Cost: Free for Ball State students in advance, $11 for students at the door. Further pricing options can be found at the Emens website. bsu.edu/emens