Ball State opens against St. Francis on its 50th season

Matt Leske, left, receives the set from Dan Wichmann on March 18, 2012 during a match against Ohio State. Ball State’s men’s volleyball team will play its season opener Saturday against St. Francis. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

In a way, the Ball State men’s volleyball team’s season-opening match on Saturday won’t be just its first contest of the season. It will be a tribute. 

Once the first serve flies over the net, Ball State will begin its 50th season in the program’s decorated NCAA history, dating back a vision that was set in motion by a young coach with a love for volleyball. 

Don Shondell, the patriarch of a historic volleyball laden family, founded Ball State’s men’s volleyball team in 1962, 10 years after graduating from the same university. Leading up to the team’s match against St. Francis on Saturday, the program has amassed 1,067 wins since its founding. Only one other team has won at least 1,000.  

Credit the program’s continuity within its coaching staff for its history of success. Through 50 seasons of NCAA play, only three individuals have been head coaches of the team. Shondell was relieved Marvin Grey for the 1965 season to earn his doctorate. For 34 years, Shondell built the program from the ground up, and in 1998 he handed the reigns over to current head coach Joel Walton. 

“This has lent us real continuity and lets us maintain strong ties with alumni,” Walton said. 

The stability and consistency at the top of the program exemplifies that ‘families’ are built around Ball State volleyball, rather than just teams. 

“Typically our stories involve getting to and from our matches more so than what actually happened on the court,” Walton said. “For us, it truly was our fraternity.

“Because of that, and the amount of time we spent together, lifelong relationships have been built.”  

Alumni Events

A half-century of bonds among teammates came together at the team’s 50th anniversary commemoration this past weekend. Walton said the turnout for the annual alumni match on Saturday was well beyond average.

“Through the course of the weekend I came up with a list of about 84 alumni that attended that I could think of, and I know I’m missing some,” Walton said.

Famous alumni such as USC women’s volleyball coach Mick Haley and Dave and John Shondell, both sons of the elder Shondell, brothers to Ball State women’s volleyball coach Steve Shondell and Purdue women’s volleyball coaches, were in attendance for a coaches clinic and a celebration dinner. 

The turnout and success made Walton call the gala “the weekend of smiles.” 

And with a team rich in winning records for the last 50 years, the question is whether the current team can build on that history this season. 

Manufacturing Offense

Various preseason polls have the Cardinals at fourth in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association. Walton does not think that assessment is too off base.

“When we voted for the preseason rankings, I put our team at fourth,” Walton said. “Yet after playing everybody in the preseason [except Grand Canyon], I think we stack up actually better than that. I’m talking to our guys on a daily basis, telling them why we can win the conference. 

“There’s a good deal of parity. I don’t see any team being absolutely dominant.”

But in order to compete with the best teams in the conference, Ball State’s offense must improve. 

Last season, Ball State hit for a .202 attack percentage compared to MIVA champion Lewis’ .321 mark. 

It doesn’t help one of the team’s best offensive players from 2012 in outside hitter Larry Wrather is out for the season. Wrather underwent surgery to repair his rotator cuff and labrum this summer.

In the offseason, Walton focused on getting effective production from the outside hitters at his disposal.

“One of the pieces we need to get better at is attacking at the antennas,” Walton said. “We haven’t had strong enough performances from our outside attackers. Teams have been able to gamble away from particular hitters and bunch up their blockers around other hitters.

“We haven’t had enough balance, and we certainly haven’t had a stud that we can throw a high ball to and it doesn’t matter if you have two blockers, three blockers in front of him, he has still been able to produce.”

With no one to help bail the offense out, Walton has focused much of his attention on sets. He said the team’s timing and tempo have improved vastly this offseason. Coupled with significant improvement from senior right-side hitters Jamion Hartley and Greg Herceg, Ball State’s offense looks to improve every match. 

The team also returns all-conference senior middle hitter Matt Leske, as well as junior libero Tommy Rouse, who was all-conference his freshman year.

First Test

Ball State’s first test will come against St. Francis this Saturday. St. Francis already lost to one MIVA opponent this season, Ohio State, falling in three games.   

Junior outside hitter Logan Patterson led the Red Flash with 11 kills and a .302 hitting percentage against the Buckeyes. Walton knows slowing him down will be key for Ball State.

“He carries the bulk of their offensive load, and has for about three seasons now,” Walton said.

But this is just the first of many matches for Ball State this season. And with the 50th anniversary season set to begin, Walton hopes to celebrate with in a way only fit for a Ball State men’s volleyball: by winning. 

“I’m very excited about this season, and I think we have the necessary players to compete.”