OPINION: Flashing plaintiff's case holds no ground

Public nudity fair game for inclusion in video collection.

MRA Holdings LLC, the company that produces the adult video series "Girls Gone Wild" is being sued by a female business major from Florida State University. Becky Lynn Gritzke flashed her breasts at a crowd in New Orleans during Mardi Gras to get beads and other trinkets in return.

Gritzke said she did not authorize the use of her image and she did not know she was being filmed. Gritzke is seeking unspecified damages and wants the tapes taken off the market until the matter is settled.

While she may not have authorized the use of her image, she authorized everyone to look at her when she exposed herself in public. Her lawsuit holds no ground.

Mardi Gras is a public event. People flood the streets of the French Quarter and let their inhibitions loose. Bourbon Street is a public area, and things that happen in public are fair game. Gritzke's actions were, in a sense, no different than if a car accident were to occur on McKinley Avenue and a picture of the wreck were to appear in the Daily News. We do not have to seek the permission of the car owner because the event took place on public property.

With Mardi Gras just around the corner, students heading to the "Big Easy" looking to celebrate should keep Gritzke's case in mind. If you do not want to be exposed via video, magazines or the Internet - don't expose yourself in public.