DINNER FOR 2ISH: Potato Soup

Editor's Note: Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are senior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. Muncie went from 100 to 0 real quick this week, so we decided to warm up with an easy and delicious potato soup.

Potato soup

Estimated cost per serving: $2.50

Ingredients:

• 3 large russet potatoes
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 5 green onions
  • 6 strips of bacon
  • 5 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk + 2 cups cream
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:

1. Chop the potatoes into small cubes and set aside. Chop the green onions and bacon, being careful to keep the raw bacon away from other ingredients.
  2. Head a pot on the stove over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Stir constantly, until the bacon has crisped. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
  3. Drain the bacon grease but do not wash the pot. Add the butter and melt completely.
  4. Add the flour and whisk until combined and brown, about one minute. Whisk in the milk and cream and stir until it has thickened a little.
  5. Add the green onions and potatoes and stir until boiling. Reduce the heat to low, place a lid on it, and allow to simmer on low for 20 minutes.
  6. Stir the soup and add the bacon, cheese and sour cream. Stir until the cheese has melted completely. Enjoy!

Serves four