'The Run' wins 48 Hour Film Fest

<p><em>PHOTO COUTERSY OF YOUTUBE</em></p>

PHOTO COUTERSY OF YOUTUBE

Teams of students took on the challenge of writing, filming and editing a short film within only 48 hours.

The Botsford/Swinford Hall Communication Living Learning Community hosted a 48 Hour Film Fest project that took place the weekend of Nov. 13. The top three winners of the project were judged and chosen by three professors of the College of Communication Information and Media.

The winners were announced at the showcase and awards night on Nov. 19. Freshman telecommunication major Zach Perrott of Unforgettable Films, along with his team, took first prize with their film, "The Run."

“I am so shocked that we won,” Perrott said. “We thought we were good but when we sat and saw all the other films, I just thought to myself there is no way we are going to win.”

"The Runis a story of a man who chases after his fiancée after receiving a mysterious note threatening her life. The man encounters multiple mishaps along the way with an unexpected ending.

“It was about three in the morning when we came up with the idea,” said Dimitri Putney, a freshman telecommunications major. “It took a lot of coffee, a lot energy drinks and staying up late but after going through about four or five ideas, we thought 'The Run' clicked the best.”

Along with the time restriction, the rules of the project also included following a certain theme, use of a specific prop and line of dialogue within the film. For Perrott’s film this included the theme of action, use of a pillow and the use of the line, word for word, “What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate.”

While the film scored the best for technicality and editing, Perrott felt the biggest issue was the lack of time.

“The only real con was the fact that time was against us,” Perrott said. “If we had more time it could have been better but that’s the thing about making films, you always recognize what you did wrong in yours when other people don’t necessarily see it, so the fact that we won gives me a lot of happiness.”