Seven places to take the family this Homecoming Weekend

Who said there’s nothing to do in Muncie? Take visiting family members someplace new during their stay over Homecoming Weekend—in-between tailgating and the football game, of course. 

1. Damask Café

Enough with the ramen and pizza—eating with parents means eating in style. The Damask Café offers Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. There’s even a hookah menu. You know, if the folks are into that.

2. The Artist Within

Put down those phones and participate in some real family bonding. The Artist Within, located in downtown Muncie, lets visitors paint their own pottery. Pick from a variety of pottery pieces: plates, mugs, bowls and other decorative pieces.

3. Charles W. Brown Planetarium

The planetarium is a cheap way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening. Head down to the Cooper Physical Science Building and check out this week's program: the story of the Kansas farm boy that discovered Pluto. Come early—the show starts at 6:30 p.m. and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.

3. David Owsley Museum on Art

The David Owsley Museum of Art is where culture and free fun come together. The museum is currently running two exhibits: With Watercolor: Content via Technique and Being There, which explores the concept of human presence. The museum is open Fridays 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and Saturdays 1:30-4:30 p.m.

4. The Caffeinery

This coffee shop and tea house is worth the trip downtown. After visiting, go shopping at other downtown locations like Dan’s Downtown Records or Refresh.

5. White Rabbit Bookstore

This Village bookstore carries everything from poetry and horror to romance and nonfiction. There should be something for every member of the family to read.

6. Sunshine Café

The second-best thing to a family meal is the Sunshine Café on Oakwood Avenue, where the cooking and atmosphere is home-style.

7. Lynyrd Skynyrd

End the homecoming experience by attending the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert at John R. Emens Auditorium Oct. 3 at 8 p.m. This classic southern rock band has been entertaining audiences for more than 40 years.