Spectrum hosts Spring Week to highlight LGBT community, issues

<p>Spectrum is hosting Spring Week, a week of events meant to bring the LGBT community closer.. One of their activities was the Rainbow Games, which included a four legged race, dizzy bat races, a “big pants” game, and a hula hoop chain competition. <em>DN PHOTO LAURA ARWOOD</em></p>

Spectrum is hosting Spring Week, a week of events meant to bring the LGBT community closer.. One of their activities was the Rainbow Games, which included a four legged race, dizzy bat races, a “big pants” game, and a hula hoop chain competition. DN PHOTO LAURA ARWOOD

Spring Week

Partying 101: 8 to 10 p.m., April 16 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center room 301 

Rainbow Rave: 6 to 9 p.m., April 17 in the Student Center Ballroom 

Rainbow Rave Drag Show: 8 to 10 p.m., April 18 in the Field and Sports Building, 

As a small group of students divided into groups of three to tie their legs together, one group erupted into giggles as some members fell over.

“Okay guys, we gotta win ‘cause I don’t like to lose,” said Ryan Dailey, a sophomore apparel design major. 

Daily and his group competed in one of the field games at Spectrum’s Rainbow Games. Rainbow Games is one of several events taking place in Spectrum’s Spring Week, a week meant to bring the LGBT community closer.

The event includes a four legged race, dizzy bat races, a “big pants” game and a hula hoop chain competition. The games were chosen by Spectrum officers with a goal of community fun in mind, said Spectrum treasurer Kevin Wells.

“[The games] are important because it shows that our community can have fun just being us,” said member Branden Jones, a sophomore criminology major. "We also have straight allies here. We have the LGBT community and straight allies playing together. It shows we can work with each other."

Jones came to Ball State from a small, conservative town in Ohio. Before joining Spectrum, Jones says he was negatively impacted by the conservative mindset with which he grew up.Jones said he turned to Spectrum when he was overwhelmed as a freshman.

“Whenever I was just so stressed out I would think, ‘This school is too big, I can’t handle this,’ and I would go to someone in Spectrum," Jones said. "I could go to someone I knew or someone I didn’t even know, even the straight allies, and they’ve just been family.”

Spectrum’s mission is to educate Muncie’s community on LGBT issues while fostering a safe atmosphere for members to explore their sexuality, according to the organization’s website. Members of the organization encouraged Jones to persevere, Jones said.

“It brings our members together and makes them work together," said president Christie McCauley. "Team building is important within our community. Everybody loves some friendly competition.” 

McCauley walked around, acting as an officiant to the games while instructing the teams on the next game.

The four teams were instructed to give themselves names, which were determined as Team Gay, Team Awesome, Unicorns and Team I Don’t Know. Team Awesome lived up to it’s name by winning every game.

The Balloon Relay Race involved the teams blowing up a balloon, tying it off, placing the balloon in between their legs and hopping to a tree and back to their team, where they would hand the balloon off. Spectrum member freshman Megan Todd decided to sit out the relay because of an old fear.

“I can’t play. I’m afraid of balloons. Not the actual balloon, but the noise when they pop,” said Todd. “When I was three, I was in a car with a balloon and it was a hot day. The balloon popped in my eyes. So I’ve only ever had balloons at my birthday party, just those big helium ones ‘cause they just deflate.”

Todd was not the only participant with doubts.

“I feel like this is just not gonna work well,” said freshman Tate Nusbaum. 

The relay was dominated by Team Awesome while other teams’ members struggled and popped their balloon several times.

But despite the competition, Jones said having everyone show up and participate was the most important part.

“I don’t think the word 'community' is as accurate as the word 'family.' Family means nothing. My family is great but some family members aren’t great. You get to choose your family, and spectrum has become my family,” said Jones.

Spring Week has events daily concluding with the Rainbow Rave Drag Show on April 18.