E3 cancelled due to coronavirus

Amid growing concerns over the COVID-19 virus, the Entertainment Software Association has officially cancelled E3 2020.

In a statement posted via Twitter on Wednesday, March 11, the ESA announced that the annual games conference would not be taking place after consulting with member companies about the health and safety of fans, employees, and exhibitors.

"Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation," the ESA said.

The full post continues stating that while they are disappointed, this was ultimately the right decision. Even though the physical convention has been called off, other major developers from years past have expressed options surrounding online or virtual experiences.

Ubisoft also released a statement regarding E3 on March 11, saying, "We’re exploring other options for a digital experience that will allow us to share all the exciting news we have planned…"

Phil Spencer, executive vice-president of Gaming at Microsoft, said via Twitter, "Given this decision, this year we’ll celebrate the next generation of gaming with the Xbox community...via an Xbox digital event."

This news follows a long line of other conferences and conventions being cancelled or postponed including SXSW and Game Developers Conference. Other large conferences like EVO 2020 in Las Vegas or Gen Con in Indianapolis have not announced any plans to postpone or cancel their events.

The ESA also mentioned that they will be speaking to both attendees and exhibitors about full refunds and that they "look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event."

Source: E3

Image: CDN