Ball State track and field picks up multiple wins in the Tom Wright Open

First-year sprinter Taylor Hickman sprints down the track in a race for the Ball State Track and Field We Fly Challenge on April 15 at the University Track at Briner Sports Complex. Katelyn Howell, DN.

In their second meet of the season, Ball State track and field competed in the Tom Wright Open at Bowling Green. Alongside the Cardinals and Falcons, Cleveland State also competed as well. 

In the long jump, there were four Ball State athletes in the top five. Senior Jenelle Rogers was first with a jump of 5.83 meters (m). Freshman Emma Upp placed second with a 5.36m jump. Freshman Kendra Keesling and sophomore Lindley Steele placed fourth and fifth, respectively, with a 5.27m jump. 

In the high jump, freshman Malina Miller was second with a 1.74m jump and sophomore Mary Porter placed third with a 1.57m jump. 

Jenelle Rogers picked up another win in the shot put with a 14.20m throw, close behind her was freshman Sophie Daugard in third place with a 13.02 throw. 

In the 60-meter hurdles, it was a 1-6 sweep for Ball State. Jenelle Rogers was first with an 8.60-second run, followed by senior Jennah Rogers coming in at 8.86s. 

For the 60-meter dash, it was another 1-6 sweep. Sophomore Alana Springer won with a time of 7.51s. Senior Makayla Sumrall was close behind, clocking in at 7.53s. 

Senior Alexis Thigpen came in second in the 600m run with a time of 1:37.06 and was followed by sophomore Leila Williams-Molitor with a time of 1:38.63.

In the 4x400, Ball State’s main team placed first and their B team placed second. The main team won with a time of 3:56.83 and the B team finished with a time of 4:06.49.