Find a community through Spectrum

Photo provided by Ball State Spectrum

Since 1974, Spectrum has served as Ball State University’s organization for gender, sexual and romantic minorities (LGBTQ+) and their allies. Spectrum provides social support to create a comfortable, confidential and accepting atmosphere for its members. Meetings are both fun and educational. Everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression is welcome to join.

The mission of Spectrum is to educate the Ball State and Muncie communities on LGBTQ+ issues, cultures, and history through various programming efforts. Spectrum’s goal is to provide an anonymous, healthy and safe place for Ball State University students and surrounding communities who identify within the LGBTQ+ community or are allies, to help find an understanding network of support!

Activities 

Spectrum meetings are currently held every other Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Multicultural Center multipurpose room. Spectrum also has activities such as sex-ed bingo and drag shows. 

“The first 15 minutes are open for anything that needs to be talked about but other than that everyone is a loud to mingle, we are very community based but we are equally as progressive because we have a balance between general body meetings and educational and social events,” said Lassen.

Services 

President Lassen described her experience in Spectrum to be “Really rewarding to give back to the community that has treated me so well and it is just great to be able to provide a safe space for people who need it because not everyone has that.”  

Spectrum is active on campus through tabling events and even has a representative in student government. Last year in 2022, Spectrum was able to get gender neutral bathrooms approved for campus. 

"Spectrum definitely has helped me meet a lot of people I would not have met otherwise, I think it is especially important to find like-minded people then taking a random guess someone has similar interests in one of your classes...Spectrum has been really rewarding to give back to the community that has treated me so well and it is just great to be able to provide a safe space for people who need it because not everyone has that."

To get involved, all you have to do is join the email list at spectrum@bsu.edu and ask to join the email list. These office hours change, the way to check office hours is by checking Spectrums social media accounts. Follow Spectrum on Instagram at @bsuspectrum or on Twitter @BSU_Spectrum.