Marshall helps Delta to senior night victory over Oak Hill

Neil Marshall (4) attempts to shoot a layup against the Wapahani Raiders at the 2022 Delaware County Basketball Tournament on Jan. 15, 2022, at Delta High School in Muncie, IN. Amber Pietz, DN

In its final game of the regular season, Delta (12-11, 2-5 HHC) defeated Oak Hill (17-5, 7-0 CIC) 49-43 Feb. 25.

Delta honored its four seniors, guards Neil Marshall, Clay Braggs, Parker Faletic and forward Mason Neal before tipoff. Head coach Mark Detweiler said the senior class persisted through an emotional season.

“We’ve had an up-and-down season,” Detweiler said. “But, we’ve been playing good basketball the last month. We’ve struggled with our emotions. The seniors, their attitudes have been phenomenal. Guys who haven’t gotten a lot of minutes off the bench, they're supportive of their teammates, I’m so happy for them. They’re just good people.”

In his final game on Delta’s home court, Marshall led the Eagles with a game-high 18 points, as well as five rebounds. Sophomore forward Jackson Wors added 15 points and four rebounds. Marshall and Wors combined for 33 of Delta’s 49 points, and Detweiler said Delta used offensive penetration to its advantage and created mismatches.

“This was the best night for us, all year, taking advantage of favorable matchups on the offensive end,” Detweiler said. “We played through multiple guys, either off the bounce with Jackson [Wors] or Neil [Marshall]. Parker [Faletic] got us off to a great start. It was nice that he gave us that great start on senior night.”

Oak Hill junior forward Landon Biegel entered the matchup inside the top 25 in Indiana individual scoring. After allowing 11 points in the first quarter, Delta’s defense held Biegel to seven more points in the final three quarters, as he finished with 18 points and six rebounds. Detweiler said stopping Biegel was a key to the Eagles’ success.

Jackson Wors (23) goes for a layup against the Wapahani Raiders at the 2022 Delaware County Basketball Tournament on Jan. 15, 2022, at Delta High School in Muncie, IN. Amber Pietz, DN

“Defensively, I thought we set the tone,” Detweiler said. “[Landon] Biegel, he hurt us early. We knew it, he’s great. He got [Oak Hill’s] first 11, and then we changed defenses. We went no help, and I thought we did a great job of limiting his catches.”

Junior forward Matthew Strange had nine points and four assists for the Golden Eagles, while sophomore forward Levi Trexler made two 3-pointers off the bench. 

Delta ended its regular-season winning four of its last five games heading into sectionals. Detweiler said the season was exhausting but also enjoyable because of the growth in chemistry.

“It’s been exhausting just because of the dynamics of ‘we’re so young,’” Detweiler said. “But, it’s been fun because young kids are eager and energetic. We’ve really come together better here in the last few weeks. We just stay together, and we got a chance next week.”

Oak Hill travels to Norwell High School for Class 3A Sectional 23, where it plays the winner of Bellmont (12-10, 1-6 NE) and Mississinewa (9-12, 5-3 CIC) March 4. The Golden Eagles are 2-0 this season against Mississinewa but have not played Bellmont.

Delta competes in the Class 3A Sectional 24 at New Castle High School, where it plays rival Yorktown March 1 at 7:30 p.m. Yorktown defeated Delta 44-43 Dec. 10.

Contact Nate Grubb with comments at nathaniel.grubb@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GrubbNate43.