Ball State SGA passes minimum wage resolution, now to be reviewed by University Senate

<p>Ball State College Democrats President Griffin Green speaks of his support for the minimum wage resolution to the Student Government Association Dec. 8. Green is also a student employee on campus. <strong>Hannah Amos, DN  </strong></p>

Ball State College Democrats President Griffin Green speaks of his support for the minimum wage resolution to the Student Government Association Dec. 8. Green is also a student employee on campus. Hannah Amos, DN

Ball State’s Student Government Association (SGA) passed a resolution that proposes to increase the on-campus minimum wage. The resolution passed 32-4. 

The resolution hopes to increase the on-campus minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $9 an hour for student workers. 

Griffin Green, president of Ball State Democrats, attended the meeting to voice his support for the resolution on behalf of College Democrats but also as a student employee himself.

“It’s just maddening being an employee for Ball State and having to work for such measly amounts of money,” Green said. 

Green also said he was concerned about the current procedure of how raises are handled. Currently, raises are not automatic and they are not applied retroactively. The On-Campus Student Employment Handbook states, “Students may be eligible for a wage increase of $0.25 per semester,” but Green said employees have to apply for a raise. Green, who has been working on campus for two years, said he found out about the opportunity of raises this semester.

Many senators discussed stories of student employees having difficulty paying rent and buying groceries due to the low minimum wage. Senator Timothy Nicholson said he had to donate his plasma twice to be able to eat.

The resolution will now move on to Ball State’s University Senate for review and a vote.

RELATED: Ball State SGA introduces minimum wage resolution 

Also at the meeting, SGA’s Elections Board committee nominated six new members — Nicole Diaz for secretary, Mia Pomales for treasurer, Brenden Resnick for debate coordinator, Olivia Ground for press secretary, Vivian Heimann for the voting member and Senator Samuel Gross for sheriff. All six nominees were elected.

Senator Brenna Large spoke on behalf of the Survey committee for a $75 budget request for three $25 gift cards to act as prizes, which passed 34-2.

The senate also voted on two amendments focused on justices of the Student Judiciary Court.

One amendment proposed justices should be allowed to terminate their service early. This amendment would allow justices to leave their service due to “personal illness or distress.” The amendment passed 28-4 with four abstentions. 

The second amendment proposed the number of justices serving on the court should be seven including the chief justice. SGA’s constitution currently states seven to 17 justices, along with the chief justice, should serve on the court.

Senator John Wilcox said the point of this amendment was to match the constitution with the bylaws. 

The amendment passed 21-11 with four abstentions. 

Three new justices were nominated to serve on the Student Judiciary Court — Molly Trivett, Adonnika West and Evan Gosnell, who were all voted onto the court.

A third amendment proposed any member of the Governmental Affairs and Community Advancement (GACA) committee can attend the Muncie City Council meetings to fulfill the current responsibility for the whip of the committee. Currently, GACA’s whip is the only one required to attend these meetings. The amendment passed 35-1.

SGA senators will return to senate business after winter break.  

Contact Hannah Amos with comments at hannah.amos@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Hannah_Amos_394