Ball State SGA approves budget request for community garden, proposes new amendment and resolution

<p>Brian Truell, At-Large Caucus elect, speaks to the Student Government Association (SGA) Nov. 3, 2021. At the meeting, SGA voted Truell in, discussed a proposal to grant ROTC students priority registration and considered a budget request to create a community garden at the Scheidler Apartments. <strong>Eli Houser, DN</strong></p>

Brian Truell, At-Large Caucus elect, speaks to the Student Government Association (SGA) Nov. 3, 2021. At the meeting, SGA voted Truell in, discussed a proposal to grant ROTC students priority registration and considered a budget request to create a community garden at the Scheidler Apartments. Eli Houser, DN

Ball State’s Student Government Association (SGA) held its weekly meeting Nov 3. SGA Vice President Chiara Biddle introduced new senator Brian Truell. Truell is a member of the accounting club at Ball State, an Eagle Scout and is part of the Dean’s Student Advisory Council for the Miller College of Business. 

“[SGA is] about giving back to the Ball State community, and being a senator was a really good way for me to do that,” Truell said.

The SGA senate voted to induct the new senator, 31-0 with three abstentions. 

Monet Lindstrand, chair of the Collegiate Caucus and the Community and Environmental Affairs Committee, spoke to senators about the upcoming community garden budget. On behalf of the Community and Environmental Affairs Committee, Lindstrand requested $1,200 to create a community garden off campus. 

The Community and Environmental Affairs Committee wants to create a community garden to provide a space that has both educational and service opportunities to bring the community together. The point of the garden is to be sustainable and long-lasting.

The committee is currently considering three locations at Scheidler Apartments for the community garden. The locations have expansion potential, as well as access to water storage. 

The garden will be about 4,500 square feet with six garden beds, an agricultural plot and a sunflower farm. 

Lindstrand said the committee plans to donate some of the food grown in the garden to Cardinal Kitchen. She has about 14 target partnerships, including with Student Voluntary Services and Cardinal Kitchen. 

For summer support, Lindstrand plans to work with the Office of Student Life, Office of Community Engagement and the Dr. Joe & Alice Rinard Orchid Greenhouse. The committee  also wants to reach out to the Muncie community.

After Lindstrand finished her presentation, senators asked her questions and voted on the request. Senator Grant Wilson said he was concerned the committee hasn’t set a specific location for the garden, as Lindstrand said she wants to set up the garden in the fall 2021 semester. Lindstrand said the committee can plant the garden in the spring 2022 semester if needed.

The senate approved the request 34-2.

Next, Senator Deonna Harris of the Student Safety Committee requested $130 to run an event at the Scramble Light Nov. 15 and 16 from noon to 2 p.m. The safety committee is planning to set up a booth at the Scramble Light to speak with students about their safety concerns on campus. The $130 is to help the committee buy hot chocolate and other supplies. 

The senate approved the request 36-0. 

One amendment and one resolution were also introduced during the meeting. 

The amendment aims to clearly define and standardize roles in standing committees, such as the position of chair of a committee.

The resolution aims to have the Office of the Registrar give priority scheduling to students in the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) to address scheduling difficulties and obligations that members have during their schooling.

“There are currently an estimated 41 students in the ROTC program at Ball State University,” according to the resolution.

Both the new amendment and resolution will be voted on at the next meeting on Nov. 10.

Contact Lila Fierek with comments at lkfierek@bsu.edu or on Twitter @fierek_lila. Contact Hannah Amos with comments at hannah.amos@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Hannah_Amos_394