Cardinal Greenways 5K returns this summer with a new course

<p>A pacer on a bicycle leads the pack of runners at a previous Cardinal Greenways 5K. For 2021, Cardinal Greenways is hosting joint races in Muncie and Marion County. <strong>Brian Schleeper/ Cardinal Greenways, Photo Provided</strong></p><p></p>

A pacer on a bicycle leads the pack of runners at a previous Cardinal Greenways 5K. For 2021, Cardinal Greenways is hosting joint races in Muncie and Marion County. Brian Schleeper/ Cardinal Greenways, Photo Provided

Register for the Cardinal 5K

Registration is currently open online through the website cardinalgreenways.org and will remain open until June 23 at midnight. There will also be paper registration forms available at each trailhead on the Greenway. Day-of registration opens at 7 a.m. and the race starts at 8 a.m. There will be a water stop at the midpoint of the course and refreshments at the end for participants. Face masks will not be required, but the organization asks people to try to socially distance themselves before and after the event. 

Source: Brian Schleeper, Wayne County district director and Cardinal Greenways staff member

Cardinal Greenways is hosting a series of events — starting with the “Cardinal 5K” — that offer multiple different methods of getting active, as well as different options for people looking to compete or enjoy time exercising with their families.

Cardinal Greenways has held 5K runs for more than 15 years, and this year, it is hosting another with some unique elements. This is the first time Cardinal Greenways is holding joint events in Muncie and Marion County. 

The Muncie event is more competitive and chip-timed, with age-group and overall prizes. The event in Marion will be a family-friendly run/walk. Both are scheduled for June 26 — Muncie’s starting at 8 a.m. and Marion County’s at 9 a.m.

Another unique addition to this year’s event is Muncie’s new course.

“We'll be utilizing a number of different assets — the Hughes Nature Preserve, new Kitselman bridge and trailhead, John Craddock Wetlands Nature Preserve and both the Cardinal and White River Greenways,” said Brian Schleeper, Wayne County district director and Cardinal Greenways staff member. “We packed a lot into three miles.”

Schleeper said the Cardinal Greenways 5K and other events the organization hosts help maintain the trail. As a nonprofit trail system, he said, it relies completely on donors and fundraisers. 

Angie Poll, Cardinal Greenways CEO, said Greenway staff want to provide opportunities for trail visitors of all exercise interests and skill levels. 

“The ‘Cardinal Summer’ series will feature three of our signature events, with the first being the Cardinal 5K,” Poll said. “We have always thought it important to have events that offer something for each type of trail user and the series offers just that — with run, bike and walk events scheduled.”

After a lack of events during the COVID-19 pandemic, Poll said Cardinal Greenways staff is excited to start strong with the Cardinal Summer series. 

“Our events showcase the beauty of our Cardinal Greenways trail system, bring new people to the trail and help us raise funds for the care of the trail,” she said. “As we jump back into the event game, we hope many will come out to participate in our first event of the Cardinal Summer series.”

Contact Sam Shipe with comments at scshipe@bsu.edu or on Twitter @JournalistSam.