Police investigates reports of shots fired on Rosewood and Bethel

<p>Muncie Police Department officers investigate reports of shots fired near a Rosewood Avenue apartment complex June 23, 2020. A campus-wide email was sent out around noon informing students of the possible shots fired. <strong>Charles Melton, DN</strong></p>

Muncie Police Department officers investigate reports of shots fired near a Rosewood Avenue apartment complex June 23, 2020. A campus-wide email was sent out around noon informing students of the possible shots fired. Charles Melton, DN

According to a campus-wide emergency email sent out a little after noon Tuesday, police units were investigating reports of shots fired in the area of North Rosewood and West Bethel Avenues.

The email stated multiple police units were on the scene. People were asked to avoid the area until further notice.

Muncie Police Department (MPD) Sgt. Wrent Brown said after they got a call about gunshots fired around the area of Rosewood and Bethel Avenues, they found a victim blocks away with a gunshot wound to his torso.

Brown said the victim was taken to the hospital and it seemed like the wounds were not life threatening in nature at that point.

He said the investigation into the incident is evolving and ongoing and MPD is still interviewing witnesses to put together a timeline, figure out what happened and find suspects.

At around 1:45 p.m., another campus-wide email was sent out by Ball State advising there was no ongoing threat to campus and people could resume normal activities.

This story will be updated.