5 national stories of the week

<p>Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden speaks during a campaign rally March 9, 2020, at Renaissance High School in Detroit. <strong>(AP Photo/Paul Sancya)</strong></p>

Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden speaks during a campaign rally March 9, 2020, at Renaissance High School in Detroit. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The Grand Princess cruise ship, Tuesday’s Democratic primaries and caucus, President Donald Trump’s plans for payroll tax relief, travel concerns for theme parks and professional sports leagues closing locker rooms amid the virus outbreak make up this week’s five national stories.

In this satellite image provided by Maxar Technologies, the Grand Princess cruise ship is seen as it was preparing to dock March 9, 2020, at the Port of Oakland in Oakland, Calif. The cruise ship was forced to idle for days off the coast of California because of a cluster of novel coronavirus cases aboard. (Satellite image ©2020 Maxar Technologies via AP)

Thousands on virus-hit cruise ship await disembarkation

Thousands of passengers aboard a cruise ship struck by the novel coronavirus waited anxiously Tuesday for their chance to leave the vessel. After days of being forced to idle off the Northern California coast, the Grand Princess docked Monday at the Port of Oakland with some 3,500 passengers and crew on board. About two dozen people who need acute medical care were taken off the ship, but it wasn’t clear how many had tested positive for the new virus, COVID-19.

Read More: Virus outbreak

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks to health officials about the coronavirus outbreak March 9, 2020, at the Westin Hotel at the Delta airlines terminal in Romulus, Mich. (Max Ortiz/Detroit News via AP)

‘Odd’ quirk raises delegate stakes in Tuesday’s elections

A quirk in how delegates are won under Democratic Party rules is raising the stakes for Tuesday’s elections. There are 352 delegates up for grabs, as Michigan, Washington, Missouri, Mississippi and Idaho hold primaries, and North Dakota holds a caucus. The arithmetic of how delegates are won under Democrats’ rules makes it possible for a candidate to reap a bigger haul of delegates with a smaller margin of victory this Tuesday than any other night.

Read more: Election 2020

President Donald Trump gestures for Vice President Mike Pence to speak in the briefing room of the White House March 9, 2020, in Washington, about the coronavirus outbreak. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Trump plans payroll tax relief in response to coronavirus

President Donald Trump says his administration will ask Congress to pass payroll tax relief and other quick measures as a public health and economic maelstrom brought on by the coronavirus drew closer to him personally. Intending to calm the fears of financial markets over the impact of the epidemic, Trump told reporters Monday he is seeking “very substantial relief” to the payroll tax. Trump also said he was seeking help for hourly-wage workers.

Read More: Donald Trump

Mickey and Minnie Mouse perform during a parade Jan. 15, 2020, as they pass by the Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom theme park at Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Florida tourism officials say cases of the new coronavirus are having little visible impact on the state's biggest industry so far. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)

Florida theme parks keep eye on virus as spring break nears

As Florida’s busy spring break season kicked off this month, Vice President Mike Pence stressed it is safe for healthy Americans to travel. Still, as COVID-19 concerns multiply, the issue weighs heavily in the tourism industry. Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc., estimated temporary closure of Disney parks in Shanghai, and Hong Kong will cost the company anywhere from $175 million to $300 million dollars.

Read more: Travel

Yeshiva and Worcester Polytechnic Institute players warm up before an NCAA DIII college basketball game that allowed no spectators March 6, 2020, in Baltimore, Md. The game at Johns Hopkins University is believed to be the first U.S. sports event held without fans because of the new coronavirus. (AP Photo/Terrance Williams)

NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS closing locker rooms amid virus scare

The NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS are closing access to locker rooms and clubhouses to all nonessential personnel, including media, in response to the coronavirus crisis. The leagues said they made the decision “after consultation with infectious disease and public health experts.” The NBA, in a call with teams earlier Monday, stressed the move is not to ban reporters but to ensure the safety of players and staff in those areas.

Read More: Sports