5 international stories of the week

<p>In this Feb. 2, 2020, photo, a worker wearing a protective suit checks the luggage of an evacuee from Wuhan, China, after their evacuation flight landed at an airport in Marseilles, France. China sent medical workers and equipment Monday to its just-completed, 1,000-bed hospital for treating victims of a new virus that has caused 362 deaths and more than 17,300 infections at home and abroad. <strong>(AP Photo/Arek Rataj)</strong></p>

In this Feb. 2, 2020, photo, a worker wearing a protective suit checks the luggage of an evacuee from Wuhan, China, after their evacuation flight landed at an airport in Marseilles, France. China sent medical workers and equipment Monday to its just-completed, 1,000-bed hospital for treating victims of a new virus that has caused 362 deaths and more than 17,300 infections at home and abroad. (AP Photo/Arek Rataj)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

China’s new virus hospital, Iran's knowledge about the downing of a Ukrainian jetliner, the Trump administration's new immigration restrictions, the stabbing incident in London and an update on the Florida naval base shooting make up this week’s five international stories.

The Huoshenshan temporary field hospital under construction is seen as it nears completion Feb. 2, 2020, in Wuhan in central China's Hubei Province. Authorities delayed the opening of schools in the worst-hit province and tightened quarantine measures in a city that allows only one family member to venture out to buy supplies. (Chinatopix via AP)

China opens virus hospital, steadies markets as toll grows

China sent medical workers and equipment to a newly-built hospital, infused cash into financial markets and further restricted people’s movement in sweeping new steps Monday to contain the spread and impact of the new coronavirus. China’s updated figures of 361 deaths and a total of 17,205 confirmed cases come as other countries continued evacuating citizens from hardest-hit Hubei province and restricted travel by Chinese or people who recently traveled in the country.

Read more: Virus outbreak

In this 2020 file photo, rescue workers search the scene where a Ukrainian plane crashed southwest of Tehran, Iran. The downing of the jetliner highlights limits of the civilian arm of Iran's government against the absolute power of the Shiite theocracy and the paramilitary forces beneath it. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi, File)

Ukraine: Recordings show Iran knew jetliner hit by missile

A leaked recording of an exchange between an Iranian air-traffic controller and an Iranian pilot purports to show authorities immediately knew a missile had downed a Ukrainian jetliner after takeoff from Tehran, killing all 176 people aboard, despite days of denial by the Islamic Republic. Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskiy acknowledged the recording’s authenticity in a report aired by a Ukrainian television channel Sunday night.

Read more: Iran

In this 2017 file photo, a flag is waved outside the White House, in Washington. The Trump administration announced Friday that it was curbing legal immigration from six additional countries. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

Trump curbs immigrants from 6 nations in election-year push

The Trump administration announced Friday it was restricting immigrants from six additional countries — Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Eritrea, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania — that officials said failed to meet minimum security standards as part of an election-year push to further clamp down immigration. But it is not a total travel ban, unlike President Donald Trump’s earlier effort that generated outrage around the world for targeting Muslims.

Read more: Immigration

A police forensic officer works near the scene after a stabbing incident Feb. 2, 2020, in London, England. Police officers shot and killed a suspect after at least two people were stabbed in what authorities are investigating as a terror attack. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

Man wearing fake bomb stabs 2 in London, is shot to death

A man recently released from prison after serving time for terrorism-related offenses strapped on a fake bomb and stabbed two people on a busy London street Sunday before being shot to death by police. He had been convicted for publishing graphic terrorist videos online and had stockpiled instructions on bomb making and knife attacks. The incident recalled a November stabbing attack carried out by another man who had served prison time for terrorism offense.

Read more: London

In this 2019 file photo, an Air Force carry team moves a transfer case containing the remains of Navy Ensign Joshua Watson, at Dover Air Force Base, Del. Al-Qaida's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility for last year's deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, File)

Al-Qaida in Yemen claims deadly Florida naval base shooting

Al-Qaida’s branch in Yemen claimed responsibility Sunday for last year’s deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola by an aviation student from Saudi Arabia. Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which has long been considered Al-Qaida’s most dangerous branch, released a video claiming the attack. It did not provide evidence of training the shooter but indicated the student and AQAP were in communication.

Read more: Pensacola